Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hey guys, What about failures?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Hey guys, What about failures?
      28/02/07 12:21 PM

Bill,

I don't claim to be an expert on these issues, and I know I can't answer each of your questions.

1 - The proof house would be governed by the laws of the juristiction where it exists. We have no proof houses in the US. I feel sure there is some sort of a standard of care, but I wouldn't venture a guess.

2 - I have no doubt that a person making one of these conversions will realize some liability protection by having the rifle proofed and then using the rifle within the constraints of that proof. If I were defending that case I think the proof would be a major factor.

The proof represents a scientific test by acknowledged experts specifically designed to determine the safety of the barrel and action to withstand the intended working pressure. You are better off with it than without it.

3 - If you aren't trained in the methods of proofing a gun my guts tell me you aren't going to shield yourself from liability by shooting it in your back yard with a few overloads.

4 - This question represents a matter of degree. At what point does the activity deviate from reasonable care? There is a distinction between a shotgun to DR conversion and what you are setting forth with rebarreling a Mauser. Also, Mausers are routinely rebarreled to more modern chamberings, so it may be accepted practice. I know that Douglas Barrels does some testing on actions it rebarrels (or used to rebarrel).

5 - The U.S. doesn't have proof laws. This would be an issue of general negligence.

6 - You would have to ask them.

None of this should be taken as legal advice. The laws of each state of the U.S. differ. I am not qualified to give advice on this topic, certainly not outside of Virginia. I would render advice in Virginia only after some serious legal research, which I have not done.

I think my comments do set forth some general principles on the topic, but nobody should rely on what I have said here.

Notwithstanding what I said in #2 above, iIt is certainly possible that somebody who makes a conversion could face civil liability even if the conversion is submitted to proof. I just don't know, and absent research I know of no cases decided on the issue.

Curl

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Hey guys, What about failures? CptCurlAdministrator 20/02/07 12:36 PM
. * * Re: Hey guys, What about failures? banzaibird   22/02/07 11:51 AM
. * * Re: Hey guys, What about failures? tinker   22/02/07 12:33 PM
. * * Re: Hey guys, What about failures? Bramble   22/02/07 12:53 PM
. * * Re: Hey guys, What about failures? banzaibird   22/02/07 01:06 PM
. * * Re: Hey guys, What about failures? CptCurlAdministrator   22/02/07 03:02 PM
. * * Re: Hey guys, What about failures? banzaibird   22/02/07 11:15 PM
. * * Re: Hey guys, What about failures? CptCurlAdministrator   23/02/07 02:26 AM
. * * Re: Hey guys, What about failures? Ron_Vella   23/02/07 02:55 AM
. * * Re: Hey guys, What about failures? banzaibird   23/02/07 04:03 AM
. * * Re: Hey guys, What about failures? CptCurlAdministrator   23/02/07 01:20 PM
. * * Re: Hey guys, What about failures? Bramble   24/02/07 01:37 PM
. * * Re: Hey guys, What about failures? CptCurlAdministrator   24/02/07 02:00 PM
. * * Re: Hey guys, What about failures? hobbyguymaine   26/02/07 02:33 PM
. * * Re: Hey guys, What about failures? banzaibird   28/02/07 10:48 AM
. * * Re: Hey guys, What about failures? CptCurlAdministrator   28/02/07 11:15 AM
. * * Re: Hey guys, What about failures? banzaibird   28/02/07 12:00 PM
. * * Re: Hey guys, What about failures? CptCurlAdministrator   28/02/07 12:21 PM
. * * Re: Hey guys, What about failures? banzaibird   28/02/07 01:00 PM
. * * Re: Hey guys, What about failures? Bramble   01/03/07 12:12 PM
. * * Re: Hey guys, What about failures? CptCurlAdministrator   03/03/07 11:34 PM
. * * Re: Hey guys, What about failures? Bramble   04/03/07 01:10 PM
. * * Re: Hey guys, What about failures? tinker   23/02/07 07:45 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 54 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2904

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com