Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Finally joined the club!!!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

banzaibird
.333 member

Reged: 18/09/05
Loc: S.C. Pennsylvania, USA
Re: Finally joined the club!!! (photo's added)
      06/02/07 06:33 AM

Well, If you have read back through old posts you will see that I made mention that soldering is/was one of my problem areas. In an effort to try to fix that I've used almost everything that Brownells offers .

Currently the barrel set I’m using is made via shoe-lump method. I used Fusion brands DMX1269-750 for wedding the shoe lump to the barrels. The quarter rib, forend hook and swivel mount all were placed using Hi-Temp Hi-Force. Then the ribs and front sight were laid using Hi-Force 44. In copious amounts and then a lot of scraping and clean-up (which still isn’t done). That gives me a spread of temperatures that if I need to use a torch on any area would hopefully give me some leeway from getting everything to flow stage at the same time.

I used the silvaloy ribbon and liked that as well for the first shoe lump barrels I made. However a friend had the Fusion and it is a “no run” silver alloy that I used on a Jones underlever project and it minimized my cleanup dramatically. Though it wouldn’t be very practical for laying ribs because there you want the wicking action to get solder down under the ribs. On the guns I monoblocked I had also partially threaded and used the Hi-Temp Hi-Force and pre-tinned well.

Currently I have access to a proper oven/furnace to braze the lump onto the barrels but supposed you could use a torch. One thing that I found made laying the ribs especially and actually all the soldering easier was making an assembly that pre-heats the barrels then use the torch to get a specific are just a bit hotter for laying in solder. If you watch the Chapius video that is online it shows the basic set-up that I use because I copied the idea of it from the video.

Bill

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Finally joined the club!!! homemadeDR 28/01/07 02:41 PM
. * * Re: Finally joined the club!!! mickey   28/01/07 02:49 PM
. * * Re: Finally joined the club!!! banzaibird   28/01/07 03:57 PM
. * * Re: Finally joined the club!!! NitroXAdministrator   28/01/07 05:08 PM
. * * Re: Finally joined the club!!! homemadeDR   04/02/07 03:02 PM
. * * Re: Finally joined the club!!! 475Guy   04/02/07 03:51 PM
. * * Re: Finally joined the club!!! (photo's added) homemadeDR   05/02/07 05:05 AM
. * * Re: Finally joined the club!!! (photo's added) banzaibird   05/02/07 05:25 AM
. * * Re: Finally joined the club!!! (photo's added) homemadeDR   06/02/07 05:12 AM
. * * Re: Finally joined the club!!! (photo's added) homemadeDR   06/02/07 05:14 AM
. * * Re: Finally joined the club!!! (photo's added) banzaibird   06/02/07 06:33 AM
. * * Re: Finally joined the club!!! (photo's added) banzaibird   06/02/07 06:35 AM
. * * Re: Finally joined the club!!! (photo's added) banzaibird   06/02/07 06:41 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 102 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 4241

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com