Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Sweet 16 hunt

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Charles_Helm
.333 member

Reged: 09/11/05
Loc: Dallas, Texas
Re: Sweet 16 hunt
      03/02/07 04:27 PM

Sorry -- I should have tried to address more of your questions.

1. With good shot placement a .300 mag should be more than enough gun for Kudu.

2. I felt safe in Namibia in 2005 and am lobbying to take my oldest daugher when she is a bit older. Like any place, you should not just wander around cities without knowing where you are. Africa changes every year, so you should always check current conditions.

3. I do not know about specific first-time or young hunter programs. If you go to the Dallas Safari Club or SCI/Reno shows you can meet PH's in person and assess how you think they will do with you and your daughter. You can also find out if you can have camp exclusivity, which will help you set the atmosphere. I hunted with Classic Safaris and Vaughan Fulton has two daughters -- I think he would appreciate your needs.

4. If you are in the right concession or ranch you should be able to get a 50 inch or or better Kudu given enough effort and time. Be straightforward about your expectations when talking to PHs or outfitters and ask specifically what the average Kudu was that they have taken in the last two-three years. However, I would not consider my hunt a loss if I took an old 48 inch Kudu after hunting hard for many days.

5. The other animals available will depend on where you hunt. In Namibia, Hartebeest are found in some areas and not others (unless introduced). Where I hunted, Gemsbok, Mountain Zebra, and Springbok were plentiful, and there were Eland (limited quota), Giraffe, and Ostrich. There are plenty of places with Hartebeest if you want one. I like the looks of a Gemsbok bull more, but that is personal preference.

6. Africa is a long way away from the States and I want to have as many hunting days there as I can. I recommend seven or more days if you can do it. You may find a big Kudu on day one, or it may take quite a while. Plus, you want some time to enjoy the country.

I love to hunt here at home with all three of my girls and if I can tell you anything else let me know. There are many here who have spent a lot more time in Africa than I have, though.

Some pictures from my trip in 2005.

--------------------
Some pictures from Namibia

Some pictures from Zimbabwe

An Elephant Story

Edited by Charles_Helm (03/02/07 04:29 PM)

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Sweet 16 hunt Rahkling7 03/02/07 05:52 AM
. * * Re: Sweet 16 hunt Charles_Helm   03/02/07 04:27 PM
. * * Re: Sweet 16 hunt AspenHill   07/02/07 04:20 AM
. * * Re: Sweet 16 hunt AspenHill   07/02/07 04:21 AM
. * * Re: Sweet 16 hunt Charles_Helm   03/02/07 04:04 PM
. * * Re: Sweet 16 hunt NE450No2   03/02/07 03:59 PM
. * * Re: Sweet 16 hunt NitroXAdministrator   03/02/07 02:34 PM
. * * Re: Sweet 16 hunt bulldog563   03/02/07 09:47 AM
. * * Re: Sweet 16 hunt Double_Trouble   03/02/07 05:59 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 50 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1934

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com