Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Finally joined the club!!!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

homemadeDR
.224 member

Reged: 02/12/05
Loc: Colorado, USA
Finally joined the club!!!
      28/01/07 02:41 PM

I can't hardly believe it but I finally shot my first DR!

As my user name states I am building a DR from a CZ shotgun. I bought a used 12GA Bobwhite about 18 months ago. Although I have restocked a couple of rifles I have never taken a blow torch to a gun before. What a rush! After unsoldering the ribs I cut the barrels between the forend hook and the mono block. Then I unsoldered the hook and finally unsoldered the barrels from the mono block.

My gunsmith (Todd Lockburner) fitted the barrels and the extractor. After reading Mr. Brown's book I was anxious to do a lot of the fitting myself but Todd was doing such a great job that I decided better safe than sorry. He had a special tap made to thread the mono block and threaded the barrels to match. Threaded front to back of the mono block! No solder.

We were both a little scared at the moment of truth. Of course we used a string and fired it from around the corner so we weren't afraid for our safety. But scared none the less! That first shot was one of the sweetest I have ever heard..... After 4 shots with 10% heavier loads and 2 with standard loads we claimed success. After examination of the spent brass Todd is sure that we exceeded 55 PSI with the proof loads.

A couple of weeks later (after detailed examination) Todd called me and then came the moment of exhilaration. We assembled the rifle, dropped in a couple of rounds and touched it off. My grin nearly touched my ears.

What did we build? My first DR had to be a 470 NE! The largest caliber I had shot until then was a 300 Win Mag so I must admit to being a bit apprehensive. But I was very pleasantly surprised. Todd said the muzzle flip was only about 12". Felt Great!

I loaded 500 Grain Woodleighs with several different loads of IMR 4350 (101, 102, and 104 grains. We only remembered the Chrono after shooting the first loads but the 104 grain load measured 2167 fps.

The next steps are all mine! Regulating. I look forward to every shot.

I have a couple of photos to post but don't have a home page.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Finally joined the club!!! homemadeDR 28/01/07 02:41 PM
. * * Re: Finally joined the club!!! mickey   28/01/07 02:49 PM
. * * Re: Finally joined the club!!! banzaibird   28/01/07 03:57 PM
. * * Re: Finally joined the club!!! NitroXAdministrator   28/01/07 05:08 PM
. * * Re: Finally joined the club!!! homemadeDR   04/02/07 03:02 PM
. * * Re: Finally joined the club!!! 475Guy   04/02/07 03:51 PM
. * * Re: Finally joined the club!!! (photo's added) homemadeDR   05/02/07 05:05 AM
. * * Re: Finally joined the club!!! (photo's added) banzaibird   05/02/07 05:25 AM
. * * Re: Finally joined the club!!! (photo's added) homemadeDR   06/02/07 05:12 AM
. * * Re: Finally joined the club!!! (photo's added) homemadeDR   06/02/07 05:14 AM
. * * Re: Finally joined the club!!! (photo's added) banzaibird   06/02/07 06:33 AM
. * * Re: Finally joined the club!!! (photo's added) banzaibird   06/02/07 06:35 AM
. * * Re: Finally joined the club!!! (photo's added) banzaibird   06/02/07 06:41 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 93 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 4242

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com