Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: BIG BORE SURVEY!!!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Boomer
.300 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: The Hudson Bay Coast, Canada
Re: BIG BORE SURVEY!!!
      03/12/06 01:56 AM

I believe that when you choose a rifle to carry when hunting big and potentially dangerous game, you must be able to shoot it accurately from any position. The largest rifle I have been able to do this with is a .416 Rigby (350 gr X 102 grs H-4350), which I could hold for 3 rounds prone. I also had a .458 Winchester (500 Hornady 70 grs 3031)in a light rifle which was no bother to shoot either. The largest rifle I've fired was a .500 NE (570 gr X 87 grs IMR-3031), but this particular rifle was some what unpleasant due to a hard recoil pad.

Checking the recoil of the .500 on my ballistic software shows 65 ft/lbs of recoil energy, which very similar to the recoil of the loads in my .375 Ultra (380 gr Rhino 84 grs H-4350). The interesting thing about all these loads, .375 Ultra, .416 Rigby, .458 Winchester, and the .500 Nitro is that they all generate about the same recoil energy, of 65 ft/lbs, yet the .500 I found punishing.

Common wisdom dictates that bottle necked cartridges give faster harsher recoil than the slow push of the straight wall big bores. While I have not found this to be universally true, I have found that stock design plays a much larger factor in the effects of apparent recoil to the shooter than any other factor. A rifle which I found particularly nasty to shoot was a M-38 Mosin-Nagant 7.62X54R carbine loaded with factory military ammo. This was before my leap to larger calibers, but I remember thinking that based on the recoil of the little commie carbine I might be unable to shoot anything more powerful than a .300 Winchester. Happily that was not the case.

Some day I may build a very large rifle on a Ruger #1 action just to see how far I can go, after all it is not difficult to find rifles which can generate over 100 ft/lbs of recoil energy. In the mean time, a well stocked hunting rifle, that produces 65 ft/lbs of recoil, I can take afield confident that I can shoot quickly and accurately from any position.

--------------------

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* BIG BORE SURVEY!!! hoppdoc 02/12/06 04:36 PM
. * * Re: BIG BORE SURVEY!!! Boomer   03/12/06 01:56 AM
. * * Re: BIG BORE SURVEY!!! hoppdoc   03/12/06 02:31 AM
. * * Re: BIG BORE SURVEY!!! hoppdoc   11/12/06 05:28 PM
. * * Re: BIG BORE SURVEY!!! AKA   12/12/06 07:23 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2367

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com