Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Jo'burg baggage handlers

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Jo'burg baggage handlers
      27/09/06 03:07 AM

I must say I was a bit concerned about my luggage going through Jo'burg so many times on this last trip. Thankfully no problems with my luggage though.

The safari company I was hunting with said 80%, that's right 80% of their clients are having bags lost or delayed through Jo'burg airport and it is traced back to Jo'burg. It is mainly luggage forwarded to Zimbabwe.

Many of the bags have been tampered with, cut open, things stolen out of the bags etc. The worst was one poor guy had an English double rifle disappear with a reported value of in excess of $100,000!

For other clients the fact a bag or gun case eventually arrives but a day or more later means often they have already had to leave for their hunting destination and if that is by charter or a long drive, their bag only arrives when the next client/flight/vehicle arrives, which could a week or more later.

What a mess!

The problem supposedly comes periodically with a lot of problems then none for a while. Sounds like specific staff rostering to me.

I know I always tip the security staff whom handle my firearms - only around $5 - and ask them to take care of my firearms each time they come through. Even though tipping of them is actively discouraged / not permitted. However cheap at the price.

Not a security guy but a normal porter was quite disappointed with that sort of tip and my wife explained why. The American travellor behind me tipped his porter a LARGE HANDFUL of rand notes (ie a large handful of R5 notes). Quite ridiculous.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Jo'burg baggage handlers NitroXAdministrator 27/09/06 03:07 AM
. * * Re: Jo'burg baggage handlers DoubleD   27/09/06 03:32 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 245 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1046

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com