Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The Worlds Best Double Rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
Re: The Worlds Best Double Rifle
      29/12/03 05:02 PM

My first was .450/.400 3 1/4" NE boxlock by Watson Brothers. It had 28" barrels, which I didn't really mind, weighed 11 lbs. and had stock dimensions that were reasonably close to what I need. It had the same bolstered action as Mickey's A. Henry .450/.400. It also had an unusual retrofitted articulated front trigger which was needed as there was too little space between the triggers to avoid smacking the front trigger when the left barrel was fired. Although it fit me reasonably well and was on the heavy side for a .400, for some reason it whacked my cheekbone mercilessly and quickly gave me a headache. It shot well, but I never loved it. I've handled a number of other Watson rifles since then and have come to realize that this rifle was not representative of the work of this fine, reliable gunmaker.

A couple months after I acquired the Watson, another rifle arrived on approval from a dealer I spoke to while searching for the Watson and had forgotten about. I already had the Watson but, you wouldn't send it back without opening the box would you? I knew I wasn't going to send it back five seconds after I opened the lid. It was a .450/.400 3" NE boxlock by A. Hollis & Son, 26" barrels, nice scroll, fantastic wood, leather pad, perfect dimensions, 10 lbs and in very nearly new original condition. I flogged the Watson. I've had the Hollis for a long time now and, although I love doubles too much to own just one, it is the last heavy double I'll ever own. It fills my need for a big double perfectly.

My William Evans .400/.360 NE has filled my need for a smaller double for use on ordinary game quite well and gets a lot of use. I've thought about having the barrels and furniture reblacked and the stock refinished, but I've never been able to do without it for that long. It is very accurate and is effective on game all out of proportion to its paper ballistics. It won't be for sale during my lifetime either.

For some time I've been considering a scoped double. Yeah, a travesty, but I'd like to do Africa just once sans any of that problematic bolt action trash . Something with enough velocity to justify the scope - probably a .350 No. 2.

Some would say that the worlds "best" double rifle would automatically be a sidelock. I understand sidelocks and appreciate them for what they are, but much prefer the simple understated elegance of a best boxlock.
----------------------------------

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* The Worlds Best Double Rifle 4seventy 28/12/03 08:05 PM
. * * Re: The Worlds Best Double Rifle Rusty   31/12/03 09:15 PM
. * * Re: The Worlds Best Double Rifle 400NitroExpress   29/12/03 05:02 PM
. * * Re: The Worlds Best Double Rifle holland465   29/12/03 06:26 PM
. * * Re: The Worlds Best Double Rifle 400NitroExpress   30/12/03 11:07 AM
. * * Re: The Worlds Best Double Rifle holland465   30/12/03 06:05 PM
. * * Re: The Worlds Best Double Rifle 400NitroExpress   01/01/04 12:49 PM
. * * Re: The Worlds Best Double Rifle holland465   01/01/04 08:58 PM
. * * Re: The Worlds Best Double Rifle holland465   29/12/03 08:36 AM
. * * Re: The Worlds Best Double Rifle mickey   29/12/03 06:37 AM
. * * Re: The Worlds Best Double Rifle NitroXAdministrator   01/01/04 02:00 PM
. * * Re: The Worlds Best Double Rifle mickey   01/01/04 02:13 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 4437

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com