Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Old Mauser stalking rifle ?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

blackbearhunter
.333 member

Reged: 15/06/04
Loc: swamp
Old Mauser stalking rifle ?
      24/05/06 11:27 AM

I found a old interesting Mauser stalking rifle today at a rifle shop.It had a large british looking crown on top of the receiver,and gew 98 on side.Could this be a commonwealth sporter rifle?Were mauser actions like this built into hunting rifles and sent to africa and india for big game hunting & called commonwealth sporters after world war one?The local gunsmith said the crown was done after the original factory build and the rifle was probley built in 1915-1917 time frame he would estimate,he said it was custom built from a military action long time ago all original.The serial number was low ...something like 4447???The caliber was 8mm mauser the gunsmith claimed but i didnt think about the bore diameter being two differnt sizes in the early rifles...Were some old rifles like this bored.318 & then mauser later changed to .323 later?Do I need to slug/check the bore diameter or will there be a stamp/letter letting me know ?Also has anyone ever seen a mauser like this with the big crown and have any idea what it means?Did rigby built on 98 mausers, built back in those days have serial numbers around the same digits?Thanks for any info on what this rifle could be...I will try to find out more info & markings.Sorry for all the questions but no one around here to ask about old guns like this one....she looked to be a nice one with many stories to tell!

cheers!

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Old Mauser stalking rifle ? blackbearhunter 24/05/06 11:27 AM
. * * Re: Old Mauser stalking rifle ? NitroXAdministrator   24/05/06 02:05 PM
. * * Re: Old Mauser stalking rifle ? DocAV   11/09/06 02:11 PM
. * * Re: Old Mauser stalking rifle ? blackberry9   11/09/06 09:05 PM
. * * Re: Old Mauser stalking rifle ? mickey   14/09/06 07:14 PM
. * * Re: Old Mauser stalking rifle ? rigbymauser   15/09/06 06:31 AM
. * * Re: Old Mauser stalking rifle ? blackberry9   15/09/06 07:53 AM

Extra information
1 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 5153

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com