Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: .375 H&H in a double rifle.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
Re: .375 H&H in a double rifle.
      26/04/06 03:54 AM

In reply to:

"Now, ask yourself (before you read opinions of the nay-sayers) - if they shot off face so often and actions got stretched so regularly and the cartridges failed to extract or eject or simply blew up b/c of all that pressure - do you think the greatest names of gunmaking would chamber for such a cartridge?"

First off, I'm not picking on you Chris, it's just that I hear this statement from people all the time and am responding to it in a general sense. My comments are not directed specifically at you.

This logic is "post hoc, ergo propter hoc" and, as usual for it's kind, is indicative of cognitive dissonance. The answer to your question is - "Of course they would!" Modern double rifle manufacturers do many stupid things, and the fact that they do so has nothing to do with technical propriety. Most of them will also fit beavertail fore-ends to large bore double rifles - some of them only fit beavertails. Do they know better? Sure, but what has that got to do with it? They build them due to market demand, not because it's a good idea.

Today's DR manufacturers are up against it. The market is small and competition high, and that market isn't as sophisticated as it once was. Like anything else, what the makers build is dictated by demand and that demand is created by many folks who don't know any better because they don't know any different. The makers build what they can sell. I know plenty of guys who wouldn't dream of buying a double in .375 Flanged Magnum because they can't buy ammo at Wally World like they can Belted Rimless. They'd never dream of tolerating the inconvenience of hard to find ammo. They have no idea how inconvenient it will be when the extractor pawls wear and begin to fail. Same guys want beavertails to protect their fingers from the barrels when they get hot. When the overloaded solder joint on the fore-end loop fails and the loop shears off, putting the gun out of action completely (cocking rods don't work, it doesn't go "BANG" anymore), they condemn the maker instead of themselves for having been uninformed enough to have ordered it that way to begin with.

Based on my own observations over the years, there's no doubt in my mind that doubles chambered for high-pressure rimless shells do come off-face faster than those chambered for shells designed for doubles. I've sure seen a bunch that were loose. The loosest double rifle I've ever examined was a relatively new Chapuis .375 H&H. I haven't fired many rimless double rifles as I avoid them like the plague, but I uniformly had extraction/ejection failures with those that I did shoot. I know of sheared fore-end loops on recent beavertailed DRs from several makers. All of these problems are easily avoided by avoiding such chamberings and designs. Geehawed mass produced bolt rifles are one thing, but setting up a double rifle for premature failure is especially senseless.

As to the discussion of pressure, it's worthwhile to note that most of these DR cartridges were created and standardized by the British. The British approach to rifle cartridges was, to my knowledge, unique in that they ignored chamber pressure and measured only bolt thrust. Their rifle cartridges were developed and standardized in base crusher guns, which measured bolt thrust by the base copper units of pressure (the copper cylinder was crushed between the case head and breech face) yardstick. The cartridge being tested was greased before firing to eliminate the ability of the expanding case to grip the chamber wall.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* .375 H&H in a double rifle. Kynoch 23/02/05 02:40 PM
. * * Re: .375 H&H in a double rifle. zimhunter   24/02/05 01:03 AM
. * * Re: .375 H&H in a double rifle. unspellable   24/02/05 12:30 AM
. * * Re: .375 H&H in a double rifle. 4seventy   24/02/05 10:02 AM
. * * Pressure in double unspellable   25/02/05 10:56 AM
. * * Re: Pressure in double 4seventy   25/02/05 11:44 AM
. * * Re: Pressure in double unspellable   26/02/05 12:19 AM
. * * Re: Pressure in double CptCurlAdministrator   26/02/05 02:11 AM
. * * Re: Pressure in double new_guy   26/02/05 04:21 AM
. * * Re: Pressure in double DUGABOY1   26/02/05 06:37 AM
. * * Re: Pressure in double unspellable   02/03/05 09:30 AM
. * * Re: Pressure in double bonanza   25/04/06 11:44 PM
. * * Re: Pressure in double JPK   26/04/06 01:11 AM
. * * Re: Pressure in double vigillinus   27/04/06 06:21 PM
. * * Re: Pressure in double hoppdoc   26/04/06 03:13 AM
. * * Re: Pressure in double CptCurlAdministrator   26/02/05 08:43 AM
. * * Re: Pressure in double bonanza   26/02/05 01:08 AM
. * * Re: .375 H&H in a double rifle. bonanza   24/02/05 01:06 AM
. * * Re: .375 H&H in a double rifle. CptCurlAdministrator   23/02/05 11:59 PM
. * * Re: .375 H&H in a double rifle. Kynoch   23/02/05 04:10 PM
. * * Re: .375 H&H in a double rifle. NE450No2   23/02/05 05:01 PM
. * * Re: .375 H&H in a double rifle. new_guy   23/02/05 03:29 PM
. * * Re: .375 H&H in a double rifle. 400NitroExpress   26/04/06 03:54 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 65 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 4189

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com