Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: dogs and snakebite

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting dogs

rgp
.333 member

Reged: 17/06/04
Loc: TX & VIC
Re: dogs and snakebite
      13/04/06 02:56 PM

This snakebite incident did not occur while hunting, it happened right next to the house.

Is the injectible liquid vitamin C is easily portable or does it have to be kept refrigerated?

The snakebite that my dog Gigi had was from a pit viper and probably nothing like the symptoms of a bite from an Aussie elapid but injecting 15ml of liquid C subcutaneously would be a lot easier than trying to use any oral medications. The reason i resorted to antihistamines is because the bite from a pit viper ordinarily causes immediate extreme swelling, and as this swelling was all in the face, it looked as if it would cut off the dog's ability to breath if the swelling continued.

Also as I later found out, in the USA, for a copperhead or water moccasin, antivenin or serum is normally not required when a dog is bitten. For most rattler bites it is apparently absolutely necessary.

When I directed questions to venom research experts who said everything docs do is wrong, none of the venom experts would say what they do differently themselves when bitten except for an immediate injection of epinepin (spelling?) if starting to go into shock. However a couple of them stated that most dogs are far more likely to recover from an untreated bite than a human being.

Apparently the epinepin is prescription only and a doctor will not give you the prescription without giving you a ton of instructions on when to use it.

Richard

ps, not sure if i spelled the epinepin name properly or if i spelled it phoenetically, but the epinepin is available under the same name in Australia and the USA. I think the people who work with snakes all the time carry a supply of it because they apparently breath in traces of venom at times while working with the snakes, and become progressively more susceptible to serious problems when bitten as compared to those of us who don't work with snakes. Although it seems to me that if they are working with Taipans and similar species there wouldn't be much difference between them being bitten and a regular guy who steps on a Taipan once in his life - rgp

Edited by rgp (13/04/06 03:06 PM)

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* dogs and snakebite rgp 11/06/05 03:58 PM
. * * Re: dogs and snakebite starwars   03/04/08 12:44 PM
. * * Re: dogs and snakebite Jake   21/03/06 10:57 PM
. * * Re: dogs and snakebite Marrakai   24/03/06 02:51 PM
. * * Re: dogs and snakebite Bakes   13/04/06 11:01 AM
. * * Re: dogs and snakebite rgp   13/04/06 02:56 PM
. * * Re: dogs and snakebite bulldog563   25/01/07 06:00 AM
. * * Re: dogs and snakebite EricD   03/02/07 05:21 AM
. * * Re: dogs and snakebite Marrakai   11/02/07 12:10 PM
. * * Re: dogs and snakebite Taylor416   14/05/09 11:59 AM
. * * Re: dogs and snakebite 9.3x57   14/05/09 10:58 PM
. * * Re: dogs and snakebite ALAN_MCKENZIE   19/02/07 12:00 AM
. * * Re: dogs and snakebite Badger_Matt   19/02/07 02:00 AM
. * * Re: dogs and snakebite Lawman   04/05/07 02:05 AM
. * * Re: dogs and snakebite Shackleton   04/09/07 12:18 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 4908

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com