Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Searcy , Merkle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Searcy , Merkle
      22/12/05 04:08 AM

In reply to:

DUGABOY1 - it looked like Butch's stock profile/style. If it didn't leave his shop like that, then someone did a damn good job of building a stock just like his!

new_guy, since I haven't seen the rifle in question, you could very well be correct, in your opinion! I simply may not be as picky about how a stock is fitted as you, since I base my taste in fitting on the lowly Westley Richards doubles that I collect. What I base my thinking the stock have been replaced by someone else is, the fact that the rifle is a right handed model, and the stock is a lefty wood!

All kidding asside, there was an early transition period where some of the stuff Butch sent out were a little rough, in spots. Sort of in the learning curve when changeing from conversions, to building doubles from scratch, and before CNC, to do the hog shapeing. This may be one of those very early transition rifles. All the draw-backs of those early rifles were cosmetic, in nature! The rifles were sound working rifles, however. Even his conversions, with the BSS action, were very strong, and there are examples that have had thousands on rounds of 470NE fired through them amd are still going. Still, in this case, I'd buy the Merkel, if the condition is as has been stated here on the Searcy. The Merkel may be a "OFF THE RACK" double rifle but both mine shoot as well, or better than some of the very well known names I have owned, and are solid. IMO, the MERKELS are value for money spent! Would I rather have a new PH Searcy, made to fit me? Certainly, I would, but that isn't what we are talking about here!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Searcy , Merkle 470NEBD 13/12/05 03:29 AM
. * * Re: Searcy , Merkle new_guy   13/12/05 08:00 AM
. * * Re: Searcy , Merkle SeanZ   13/12/05 09:25 AM
. * * Re: Searcy , Merkle DUGABOY1   13/12/05 12:47 PM
. * * Re: Searcy , Merkle new_guy   13/12/05 04:11 PM
. * * Re: Searcy , Merkle DUGABOY1   22/12/05 04:08 AM
. * * Re: Searcy , Merkle nitro476   23/12/05 10:47 AM
. * * Re: Searcy , Merkle new_guy   22/12/05 04:18 AM
. * * Re: Searcy , Merkle Peterb   13/12/05 03:19 PM
. * * Re: Searcy , Merkle bulldog563   13/12/05 04:14 PM
. * * Re: Searcy , Merkle bulldog563   13/12/05 05:31 AM
. * * Re: Searcy , Merkle JPK   13/12/05 04:21 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 101 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 3365

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com