Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: mark sullivan PH

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
Re: mark sullivan PH
      08/12/05 01:36 AM

470NEBD, I've hunted with Mark twice in Tanzania. The first time was ten years ago on a 21-day safari, and then again this season for a 10-day buffalo/plainsgame hunt.

All I can say is that Mark's been a very good friend of mine for some twelve years, and he's absolutely knocked himself out for me as a professional hunter. He's always delivered better than his word, and he's gone way above and beyond the call of duty on my behalf every time. I have NEVER had a written contract with Mark, ever. We've operated strictly on a handshake basis, and our safaris have always worked out better than I ever envisioned going in.

Sullivan has tremendous instincts in the bush, and excellent judgement. He has a happy, can-do attitude every single day of the safari, and an incredible work ethic. Mark is a driven man. He wastes none of your time, nor his. He has a game plan in place at the start of every hunting day, and he seemingly knows every square foot of his hunting blocks as if they were a part of his own backyard.

Mark is also extremely considerate of his native staff, speaks fluent Swahili, and he's had the same two main trackers for the last nine years running, as well as several other members of his team. And quite honestly, Mark's crew is the happiest and most efficient I've ever seen in Africa. While we were in camp this year, Mark's birthday came around, and the entire camp staff came into the dining hut after dinner in celebration. It was one of the most memorable episodes I've ever witnessed in a hunting camp, and luckily I have it all on video. That entire scene told the whole story of Mark's relationship with his staff.

One hunting episode from this season will also tell you something about Mark Sullivan: Early in the safari, Mark told me about an old bachelor dugga boy buffalo that he said lived about one kilometer from camp. Mark, with a twinkle in his eye, said, "Allen, I've been saving this bull for you, and the boys are looking for him every morning. If they spot him, we'll head out from camp on foot and see if we can't collect him!" Well, at first light a few days later one of the boys came to my tent and announced that the bull had been spotted, so without wasting any time or asking any questions, I put on my binoculars, took my 416 Rem. Mag. out of the case, and headed for the main camp area. I stood on top of the Landcruiser and managed to spot the top of the bull's back, and sure enough, he appeared to be about a mile from camp.

We headed out on foot, following the course of a dry wash, which kept us well-hidden for our stalk, and fortunately, the wind was exactly right. In due course, Ali, our head tracker, climbed to the top of the wash and motioned for us to join him. The buffalo was feeding, about 100 yds. from our position, so we carefully stalked even closer, to about 40 yards. At that point, Mark told me to get ready, and when the buffalo looked up and spotted us, he wasted no time in making an exit attempt, at which point I shot him. He went down on the spot, let out his death bellow, and that was that. It was like a storybook hunt, as have been so many of the individual hunts I've had with Mark. It was one of those episodes you never forget for the rest of your life.

And no, Mark didn't fire a shot. He's never shot any of the animals I've taken when we've hunted together, because he hasn't had to. I've done all my own shooting.......

AD

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* mark sullivan PH 470NEBD 02/12/05 12:24 PM
. * * Re: mark sullivan PH allenday   08/12/05 01:36 AM
. * * Re: mark sullivan PH clark7781   22/12/05 04:32 AM
. * * Re: mark sullivan PH allenday   23/12/05 08:52 PM
. * * Re: mark sullivan PH clark7781   06/01/06 02:57 AM
. * * Re: mark sullivan PH bulldog563   06/01/06 11:10 AM
. * * Re: mark sullivan PH JPeterson   06/01/06 11:34 AM
. * * Re: mark sullivan PH bulldog563   06/01/06 12:17 PM
. * * Re: mark sullivan PH JPeterson   06/01/06 02:05 PM
. * * Re: mark sullivan PH 500grains   06/01/06 04:14 PM
. * * Re: mark sullivan PH mikeh416Rigby   07/01/06 03:07 AM
. * * Re: mark sullivan PH clark7781   07/01/06 05:31 AM
. * * Re: mark sullivan PH mikeh416Rigby   06/01/06 11:33 AM
. * * Re: mark sullivan PH 470NEBD   14/12/05 09:46 AM
. * * Re: mark sullivan PH bulldog563   08/12/05 07:05 AM
. * * Re: mark sullivan PH Maineguide   12/12/05 11:18 AM
. * * Re: mark sullivan PH 500grains   12/12/05 12:06 PM
. * * Re: mark sullivan PH NitroXAdministrator   08/12/05 02:53 AM
. * * Re: mark sullivan PH NitroXAdministrator   05/12/05 02:32 AM
. * * Re: mark sullivan PH 470NEBD   06/12/05 09:35 AM
. * * Re: mark sullivan PH Marrakai   02/12/05 07:40 PM
. * * Re: mark sullivan PH 500grains   02/12/05 04:02 PM

Extra information
1 registered and 85 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 9259

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com