Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: What to look for when choosing a blank for a DR?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Peterb
.333 member

Reged: 07/07/04
Re: What to look for when choosing a blank for a DR?
      25/11/05 03:44 AM

Color makes no difference in strength, just in preference. However, Butch prefers dark wood as most of his customers prefer dark wood. Butch also uses only English as it has better machinability than Black or Claro or Bastogne. Butch also picks his wood for proper layout and strength so unless there is a hidden flaw, any blank you see at Butch's place will be good for the task. Now when one mentions grain through the wrist, it doesn't matter if it is up and down or side to side...just as long as it is not at an angle. And the action area must be strong as the wrist must be strong. The butt behind the wrist may be wild as the extra volume there adds strength. You can also check for hardness by trying to dig a thumbnail into the wood. You don't want burl or feather in the wrist (you won't find these at Butch's), but fiddle is OK as it is strong.

I am a wood supplier to Butch, so I know what he likes and what he doesn't like. He won't put effort into a blank if he has any thought that it might be weak or unfit for function.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* What to look for when choosing a blank for a DR? bulldog563 24/11/05 08:55 PM
. * * Re: What to look for when choosing a blank for a DR? 500Nitro   25/11/05 03:24 AM
. * * Re: What to look for when choosing a blank for a DR? Peterb   25/11/05 03:44 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 295

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com