Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Working up a double rifle load that regulates.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Working up a double rifle load that regulates.
      19/05/24 06:54 PM

Quote:

I did a lot of research on loading for this rifle and what I found was several sources that claimed that the barrels were regulated by powder charge. If the shots are going wide, increaseing that powder charge will bring them together. If they are crossing, lowering the powder charge will bring them back together. It was recommended to start on the lighter side (which should make them shoot wide) and increase the charge until they meet. My initial thought was "How the hell does THAT work???". But, I found the same recommendation in several different places. So, I made up several loads of increasing powder charges and found that the first ones shot rather wide (@ 50 yards) and as the powder charge increased, the shots came together, just like I was told. For the record, I am using smokeless in place of black but my understanding is that the same principle applies for black. I can to wrap my head around WHY this is how it is but my initial limited testing seemed to conclude that this may have merit.

Slower velocity, more time before the bullet exits the barrels so the bullet flies wider under recoil.

For heavy recoiling big bores, a bullet may hit lower as well if velocity is increased. Recoil effect and bullet time in barrel again.

Higher velocity rifles, usually a higher velocity means flatter trajectory so a higher velocity means a higher impact. Big heavy slow bullets , lesser velocity means more time in a barrel under recoil and higher impacts.

A double rifle will have both influences, a side by side, upwards recoil and right and left recoil. During the rifles regulation both are compensated for. I'm guessing an under a and over Dr has most upwards and lesser upwards recoil effects. Less sideways. Theoretically easier to regulate by the maker.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (20/05/24 10:46 PM)

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Working up a double rifle load that regulates. casper50 16/05/24 08:17 AM
. * * Re: Working up a double rifle load that regulates. mauserand9mm   16/05/24 11:58 AM
. * * Re: Working up a double rifle load that regulates. CptCurlAdministrator   16/05/24 08:24 PM
. * * Re: Working up a double rifle load that regulates. casper50   17/05/24 01:07 AM
. * * Re: Working up a double rifle load that regulates. LTK   17/05/24 11:47 AM
. * * Re: Working up a double rifle load that regulates. LRF   19/05/24 09:22 PM
. * * Re: Working up a double rifle load that regulates. grandveneur   19/05/24 11:50 PM
. * * Re: Working up a double rifle load that regulates. DarylS   20/05/24 03:10 AM
. * * Re: Working up a double rifle load that regulates. NitroXAdministrator   20/05/24 10:39 PM
. * * Re: Working up a double rifle load that regulates. Marrakai   21/05/24 09:15 AM
. * * Re: Working up a double rifle load that regulates. transvaal   22/05/24 01:02 AM
. * * Re: Working up a double rifle load that regulates. DarylS   22/05/24 01:37 AM
. * * Re: Working up a double rifle load that regulates. NitroXAdministrator   19/05/24 06:54 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 192 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 786

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com