Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream"

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

EzineAdministrator
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Pt III
      29/09/05 03:55 AM

Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" - Part III

INDEX
"Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream";

Top End 2005 - Main Index

DAY 3

Awakening soon after dawn we all set to a good breakfast and discussed the plan for the day.

Wal had taken a buffalo bull. Graham asked me if I wanted him to guide me today . Wal was interested in a scrub bull if an opportunity arose but probably not a second buffalo. Plus a pig if one was seen. The idea was if we saw a trophy buff I was to hunt it, if a scrub bull, it was Wal's opportunity. This would allow higher chances for Orion and I both to score. I checked with Wal and he had agreed to this so it was a go.

Orion was to continue with Paul, and Helen wanted to go for a drive as well, rather than sit in camp. So we would be two parties of four and three.

Paul's party set out with us following soon after. The herds to South were to get a good look over. Paul to search the countryside closer to camp and us to head further out. We passed the "green monster" hunting car on the way out. Paul, Helen and Orion were already in the bush looking for buffalo.

It is fun not to have to rush things. We sighted a number of buffalo bulls along the way, and as I also wanted some video footage some fake stalks were called for. Being a "ham" is easu to do when you know it is not a real stalk, much better to film the real thing. However no matter what it is fun! During one of these stalks with a buffalo bull only 40 metres in front I realised my rifle wasn't actually loaded. I decided it might just be a good idea to put some shells in the chambers. Just in case!

We stalked this buff bull in the high grass. He was not far from the road and not a shooter.

He was aware of us but uncertain of what we were and approached us for a closer look.

He kept an close eye on us the whole time. A approach using trees and cover allowed us to approach to within 50 metres. In the end he decided retreat was the option and turned tail.

Having a fun morning, sighting a number of buffalo, we returned for camp for a midday lunch.

What do we again find?! Orion has taken a nice buffalo bull. I will leave that story for Orion in Part IV and when Orion's photos are uploaded.

Lunch was to be a mini-celebration.

Off in the afternoon. My turn was to be next.

Driving further out than the previous time a bull or two were spotted in the savannah glades. Careful glassing of them with binoculars to ascertain their trophy worthiness. We continued on.

A bull spotted! A good one. Well away from the track maybe 600 metres, we loaded up and off we went. Graham in front, myself following with my .450, Anne agreed to be video camera woman with Wal behind.

The buff bull was awake but had not spotted us. Even though the countryside appears quite open, the occasional termite mount, the many trees, the depressions and high grass provide good cover. Using tree trunks to cover our approach we managed to make 200 metres from the bull and stopped to glass him again. Graham assured me he was a good bull and he looked fine to me. I would take him given the opportunity.

Again we stalked towards the bull being careful to use each tree slowly, in single file so only one person's front could be exposed to the bull at any one time. Sometimes a careful slow sideways manouvre was required to align another tree trunk to provide cover. The bull had his head up but was drowsing in the afternoon heat.

Cutting the distance to about 100 metres Graham got Anne to come up to us. She was to stay behind the cover of this tree and film from here. He and I would continue closer. Wal was about 30 metres behind waiting.

Two more tree trunks would provide potential cover.

We made it to the first. I approached the second alone. Now I was about 60 metres from the bull. Just as I reached the trunk the bull lept to his feet. We had been spotted.The bull was facing towards us but at a slight angle. Perfect!

I past the side of the tree bringing the double rifle to my shoulder and as soon as the sights aligned on the shoulder of the bull I fired. The 480 gr Woodleigh Weldcore smacked into the bull's shoulder and continued on to break its spine. He was down but not out. I reloaded and moved forward and fired another round raking the bull's lungs behind the shoulder. This second round had no seeming affect and the bull continued to try to rise using its front legs but had no use of most of its body due to the spinal damage. Graham also fired at this point as he explained later due to the video running. However his shot also had very little effect and after a few moments the bull lay down and eventually died. It did not bother me Graham shooting as that bull was not going anywhere.

A few fast and furious seconds.

Anne had caught most of the action on film up to the shot when she went all wobbly from excitement. The big bangs and the excitement causing the camera to move around a bit. I think she was more excited than us others.

Intrepid camera woman Anne posing with the buff bull

The team. Graham, myself, Anne and Wal

This perfectly performing Woodleigh 480 gr Weldcore was
recovered just under the skin on the far side of the chest.

Graham and I posing with the bull.

I am embarrassed to admit that I had another double discharge on this bull. I had not had one even though I extensively tested for one since the last buffalo hunt. However this time I felt my finger slap the second trigger on recoil. From this point on I now shoot the rear trigger first and this has proved more successful.

All of us were taking only skull and horns as trophies so far on this trip so dealing with the trophy was relatively quick at this point. We had good hunting time so would return later to recover the head, the cape not being important.

A short time later we sighted another buff bull. A good bull but not better than either we had taken. Wal and Graham mocked stalked the bull while I followed close behind with the video. Wal fired a shot from his .416 Rigby over the bull's back and a second as it fled. I believe it will be some great footage, but I teased Wal, it will show him missing twice! It is much easier to take some film when exposing oneself to the bull to film it and following behind the hunters does not jeopardise a legitimate stalk.

Driving further along the track we came another stream which crossed the road. This stream was to be our route for several kilometres on foot, then crossing over cross country to another tributary of the same stream to arrive back at the vehicle.

The walk was pleasant coming across a number of buffalo along the way. Myself I was interested in a second larger buffalo and Wal too might be persuaded if the buff was very large. Scrub bull of course remained on his agenda.

Along the stream we came across a herd cooling off in the stream. Our sudden appearance causing them much panic thundering off into the distance. On the far side of the stream a bull watched us.

Cutting across country we arrived at the other tributary stream and headed back towards the car.

Some typical countryside of the area. As can be seen even
though the terrain is fairly flat and open the numerous trees,
occaisional termite mound and grass allows a close
approach to an unaware buffalo.

The convulence of the streams. Insignificant during the dry
season, but a major obstacle during the wet.

Back to the vehicle, a drink and off back to the downed buffalo to recover its head. Off with the head, a stop to clear a fallen tree from the track and doubling as a collection of firewood we made our way on the many kilometres to return to camp. A successful day. We all now had our first buffalo.

Some scrub cattle were sighted off the road side, some crossing the road in front of us but running away. We stopped to get some video footage. No big bulls here. Back into the car, off around the corner and WHOA .....

..... a big scrub bull rushes across the road only twenty metres in front of us. The herd bull and he was a good trophy. Graham informs him the bull is very good. Wal is unsure whether to take him. He is an old school hunter and wants a good hunt. This seems to be a little too easy. He asks "Should I take him?" to me and us in general. I reply "Hell, I would!" and the decision is made. Sometimes you just have to take an easy hunt. They make up for the difficult ones and the unsuccessful ones. Wal is out the door. Graham asks me if he can use the double and on my reply off he goes as well.

The bull is not too far away, Wal takes a offhand shot in the gloom of dusk, hits the bull but the bull isn't going down. Off the bull goes running. Some more difficult shots from both Wal and Graham on the running bull. Finally Wal uses the .450 DR to finish off the scrub bull. He remembers my mistake and uses the rear trigger .

I videoed the encounter from near the vehicle and returned to the vehicle to drive the Landcruiser as close to the bull as possible along the track. The bull had managed to run several hundred metres before expiring.

Graham and Wal with the excellent scrub bull

It is a fine bull. Good strong thick horns. A cape with character markings. A red bull.

The Red Gods of the Hunt have smiled on us this day. A water buffalo for Orion and myself and a Red scrub bull for Wal.

Another head loaded onto the roof rack with the buff and wood and we return to camp.

A fine meal to celebrate. We break open some good red wine, a bottle of Jamiesons Irsh Whiskey and I find a box of Cubans in my luggage. Those of us who smoke celebrate a Waidmannsheil and an attempt to get into "Cigar Aficianado" magazine. Pity it is night.

Orion, Paul and John (Nitro)

Orion

Paul

John (Nitro)
PS I am actually very happy. I don't like cameras!

SOMETIMES THE RED GODS SMILE UPON US

Return to the Story Index

--------------------

Ezine.NitroExpress.com

Edited by NitroX (30/09/05 06:48 PM)

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" EzineAdministrator 29/09/05 03:50 AM
. * * Re: Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" EricD   30/09/05 04:01 PM
. * * Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Pt X EzineAdministrator   29/09/05 04:01 AM
. * * Re: Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" NitroXAdministrator   29/09/05 10:01 PM
. * * Re: Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" SAHUNT   30/09/05 05:14 PM
. * * Re: Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" NitroXAdministrator   30/09/05 06:27 PM
. * * Re: Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" SAHUNT   02/10/05 03:18 PM
. * * Re: Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" NitroXAdministrator   02/10/05 04:14 PM
. * * Re: Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Bigfive   12/10/05 06:16 PM
. * * Re: Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" SAHUNT   03/10/05 02:54 AM
. * * Re: Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" SAHUNT   30/09/05 09:47 PM
. * * Re: Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Bakes   02/10/05 08:04 AM
. * * Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Pt IX EzineAdministrator   29/09/05 04:00 AM
. * * Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" PtVIII EzineAdministrator   29/09/05 03:59 AM
. * * Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Pt VII EzineAdministrator   29/09/05 03:58 AM
. * * "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Pt VII - photos added NitroXAdministrator   06/11/05 02:03 AM
. * * Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Pt VI EzineAdministrator   29/09/05 03:58 AM
. * * Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Pt V EzineAdministrator   29/09/05 03:57 AM
. * * Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Pt IV EzineAdministrator   29/09/05 03:56 AM
. * * "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Pt IV - photos added NitroXAdministrator   06/11/05 02:00 AM
. * * Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Pt III EzineAdministrator   29/09/05 03:55 AM
. * * Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Pt II EzineAdministrator   29/09/05 03:54 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 150 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Thread views: 7000

You rated this thread a 5.
Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com