Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream"

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

EzineAdministrator
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream"
      29/09/05 03:50 AM

Top End 2005

I will be posting two stories:

"Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream";

and

"Belles & Boars"

Top End 2005 - Main Index

This is the start (Part I) of the first story, "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream". Each installment will be added progressively over the next few days. Then later the second story "Belles & Boars" will be posted for your reading and hopefully enjoyment.

A couple of notes:

1. Each post contains a fair number of photos. Users using slower dial-up connections (like me) might like to use a THREADED view so lesser photos load up with each page. I will be adding a THREADED menu to each post.

2. A number of our members are eagerly waiting to discuss (argue) about the merits or otherwise of using smaller medium sized calibres on buffalo. I would appreciate it if these discussions could be continued on the following thread

Is the 6.5x54 mm M-S adequate for buffalo ?

Hope you enjoy my hunt story. I certainly enjoyed this magic Top End hunt.

NitroX

Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream"

Due to the number of photos these posts are best viewed threaded

Since hunting water buffalo in Arnhemland in the Top End of the Northern Territory of Australia in 2004 I wanted to go back. Water buffalo the biggest game of Australia and larger than Africa's Cape Buffalo represent an exciting challenge for hunting in Australia.

This year we would be hunting with Graham Williams of Australian Buffalo Hunters. His concession is located in central Arnhemland near the Northern headwaters of the Wilton and West Wilton Rivers. In this concession the game available includes water buffalo, scrub bulls and the feral Razorback boars of the Top End.

The countryside at the end of August is dry. Hilly low ranges of hills with valleys in between and often lovely streams of fresh water breaking up the harshness of the countryside. These streams also contain several species of fish as we were to find out, barramundi in some of the larger water holes and snooty grouper, or "black bream" as they are also known in pools in the streams. Johnsons or freshwater crocodiles also inhabit these streams but are relatively harmless unless one perhaps steps on them.

Orion and I booked a two by one hunt with Graham who was also guiding an American hunter and his wife the same week, Wal and Anne of the NE of the USA. Our guide was to be Paul, a fellow Westaustralian like Graham. In the seven days of hunting Orion and I were interested in taking at least a couple of buff trophies apiece, maybe an odd boar, and for myself I was also keen on a good scrub bull. Another bovine to add to my Aussie Bovine Grandslam, leaving banteng for a future trip.

At a reasonable pace it takes about four days to drive up from South Oz and we stopped at Cooper Pedy again the first night staying in the same underground hotel I stayed in last year. They remembered me!

Our Landcruiser. Orion's Landcruiser is a petrol 'troopie' but
with the second petrol tank replaced with a LPG (liquid
petroleum gas) tank. LPG probably halved our fuel costs to
about $1,200 for the drive up and back, compared to well
over $2,000 if our petrol or diesel was needed. A big saving
considering the currently very high fuel costs.

Then onto to Alice Springs. Orion had not been to Alice Springs for twenty years and it had changed considerably in the meantime. The first hotel on the main road in was no longer the first, maybe the eigth and the main road was different too. Next night we planned on camping off the road but in the last ten or more years the highway has been fenced off to keep cattle off the roads and lessen the enivatable road accidents with the rusted hulks which once littered the sides of the highway with regularity. We ended up staying in a pleasant roadside camp ground at Banka Banka which was cheap at $6 a head with of course facilities thrown in. Finally on the fourth night we arrived at Katherine necessitated by the need to purchase one or two item and ready to start the drive to the North East on the Central Arnhemland Highway.

Our camp at Mainarou Store in the middle of Arnhemland,
the day before the start of the seven day hunt. The camp
near Mainarou Store had a pleasant water hole for swimming.
Other than one other vehicle we had this simple camping area
to ourselves.

An easy drive the fifth day as it turned out with us meeting Graham and co the next day, the first hunting day when he dropped off his last clients at the airstrip and picked up Wal and Anne.

We were to arrange to meet Graham at the Aboriginal town of Bullman early that morning but actually came across them on the highway on the way to the airstrip. Damage to the Bullman airstrip necessitated a change to the Mount Catt airstrip, a longer drive for them. Graham's successful client was a gunmaker from the USA and he toted a hefty .505 Gibbs. Better him than me.

We proceeded onto Bullman, but consulting our maps worked out the main road to the hunting concession was closer so waited for them at the turn-off instead. A good time for a cold drink though looking at maps proved difficult as everyone stopped to ask us if we needed help. I put the maps away.

A bit later with Anne and Wal within we made greetings and we were off to the hunting country. Always an exciting prospect, seeing new country, what it holds, what prospects are promised for the next seven days of hunting.

A view of the hunting country. At this point the road
descends down an escarpment into the valley below. Our
concession was in the hills in the distance.

Photographer: Orion

Along the way some buffalo were sighted. Wal's first sighting of these big bovines. A promise of good things to come.

Our plan for the day was to arrive at camp. Have lunch, then check the zero of the rifles. As I planned on using my iron sighted double I decided to forgo this pleasure prefering hair, hide bone and muscle as targets. My rifle was again my W.J. Jeffrey in .450 No.2 Nitro Express. Loaded with 480 gr Woodleigh Weldcore Round Nose Softpoints. I didn't think the cartridge would be inadequate as long as the bullets were put in the right place.

Orion intended to blood his "new" vintage 6.5x54 mm Mannlicher Schoenauer on this hunt. Numerous species of deer, hare and other species already been taken with it. 140 gr Barnes X were the chosen pills along with some 160 gr pojectiles. Careful and deliberate shooting would be required.

More buffalo were spotted from the road.

THE PEOPLE

NitroX, attempting to look purposeful

Orion with his 'new' favourite rifle

Wal and Anne, Graham's American clients

Graham and Helen Williams. Helen was joining Graham for a
couple of weeks while on annual leave.
Graham is holding my double. I had to prise it off him.

Paul, our guide, with a suitable PH steely look.
Paul is holding one of the PH's standard rifles, a .CZ 416 Rigby.

Return to the Story Index

--------------------

Ezine.NitroExpress.com

Edited by NitroX (06/11/05 01:13 AM)

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" EzineAdministrator 29/09/05 03:50 AM
. * * Re: Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" EricD   30/09/05 04:01 PM
. * * Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Pt X EzineAdministrator   29/09/05 04:01 AM
. * * Re: Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" NitroXAdministrator   29/09/05 10:01 PM
. * * Re: Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" SAHUNT   30/09/05 05:14 PM
. * * Re: Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" NitroXAdministrator   30/09/05 06:27 PM
. * * Re: Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" SAHUNT   02/10/05 03:18 PM
. * * Re: Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" NitroXAdministrator   02/10/05 04:14 PM
. * * Re: Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Bigfive   12/10/05 06:16 PM
. * * Re: Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" SAHUNT   03/10/05 02:54 AM
. * * Re: Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" SAHUNT   30/09/05 09:47 PM
. * * Re: Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Bakes   02/10/05 08:04 AM
. * * Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Pt IX EzineAdministrator   29/09/05 04:00 AM
. * * Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" PtVIII EzineAdministrator   29/09/05 03:59 AM
. * * Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Pt VII EzineAdministrator   29/09/05 03:58 AM
. * * "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Pt VII - photos added NitroXAdministrator   06/11/05 02:03 AM
. * * Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Pt VI EzineAdministrator   29/09/05 03:58 AM
. * * Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Pt V EzineAdministrator   29/09/05 03:57 AM
. * * Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Pt IV EzineAdministrator   29/09/05 03:56 AM
. * * "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Pt IV - photos added NitroXAdministrator   06/11/05 02:00 AM
. * * Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Pt III EzineAdministrator   29/09/05 03:55 AM
. * * Top End 2005 - "Buff, Bulls, Barra & Bream" Pt II EzineAdministrator   29/09/05 03:54 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Thread views: 7001

You rated this thread a 5.
Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com