Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Welcome Back NitroExpress!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Welcome Back NitroExpress!
      30/11/23 03:13 AM

I wasn't too worried this time, because this problemm has happened several times.

I know exactly what happened. The forums were having some minor errors. I mentioned intending to back up the database. There was some errors stopping stuff. I asked the ISP guy to see if there was any issues. Later the forums worked fine again.

He decided to shutdown the server. The "who's online" file runs on and off continually. This file was corrupted during the server shutdown. This has happened now two or three times. Normally I can log into the database. Run an admin programme and repair a file or replace the file from a backup. The "who's online" file has no data. But my laptop gave up a year ago. I haven't replaced it. The login info, emailed instructions were on the laptop. Btw the HDD of the laptop is I believe fine. I just need a new one and can remove the old HDD and plug it in two a device o have.

I asked THE ISP to resend me the phpadmin and database info. My support guy also looked at it for me and said the phpadmin was very old and not to use it. I did try the past address and it didn't even work. Something's been changed at the ISP is my guess. The support guy offered to do it for me.

Next problem. I have a dozen separate HDDs with files, images, backups. But they were somewhere I was not. A couple weeks before I got them.

I found the right HDD, copied the right backed up file of the database. Send it plus instructions to the support guy. Of course hecwas busy, then I had to resend the email. Maybe a week went by. Some my delay. Some his.

Eventually it got done. It all works again. Yippee!

What I need to do is back up the database data files. Probably this weekend. I think the ISP support guy will have a copy as well. I want to make sure the data, not the programme is backed up. So the forums might be down for a few hours in the next week or so. I will turn them off.

"""

On the forums.nitroexpress.com page I'll add a text area. It isn't straight forward, but once changed, it will be useful when the forums show errors. I'll see about a link on the forums header area. It might be a simple "info_update.txt" file. A few seconds to write, ftp (upload) it to the same spot. Easier to open and read.

In the future a better system of providing info.

I looked at what is needed to upgrade the forums. The same forums sw, but a much newer version. New php and MySQL software. The FORUMS WILL BE DIFFERENT LOOKING. Hopefully better. The newer versions have image galleries and can load images into the threads/posts. A new headache for me. . Images take a lot of storage. Which can get costly. It will add up and need to be managed. But is a plus. The most complained about lack of feature. Great plus if the same members can still work it out.

Images on the forums will make it easier for me as well to keep activity going.

I will be changing ISPs at the same time. While the single support guy at the current ISP is good and service orientated, I think what we do is completely out of sync with the rest of their clients.

I'm looking forward to revamping the rest of the website. Using maybe WordPress, much easier to update, modify, add new info, especially articles, the eMagaxine, blog etc. Maybe see what can be done in the new forums first. And very simple pages leading to it as a beginning.

As for Facebook, imo for independent minded free people interested in normal life, hunting, shooting guns etc there's zero long term future on it. Run by a sex weirdo death cult, that's Elon Musk's description of the people that ran twitter, and still run Farcebook and Google. I'll still use it as one can deal with a variety of people some usefull

But CONTROL over ONE'S OWN PLATFORM is important. Not some bunch of cross dressing homos pretending to be female or vice versa. All depressed hoping the human race is wiped out ... Not for me.

We've been around for maybe 20 to 23 years. Hopefully another twenty years.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Welcome Back NitroExpress! Rothhammer1 29/11/23 03:55 PM
. * * Re: Welcome Back NitroExpress! lancaster   29/11/23 04:50 PM
. * * Re: Welcome Back NitroExpress! NitroXAdministrator   30/11/23 03:21 AM
. * * Re: Welcome Back NitroExpress! Rothhammer1   29/11/23 05:04 PM
. * * Re: Welcome Back NitroExpress! NitroXAdministrator   30/11/23 03:22 AM
. * * Re: Welcome Back NitroExpress! Rothhammer1   30/11/23 04:15 AM
. * * Re: Welcome Back NitroExpress! Hunter4752001   29/11/23 07:26 PM
. * * Re: Welcome Back NitroExpress! 93x64mm   29/11/23 10:11 PM
. * * Re: Welcome Back NitroExpress! Rule303   30/11/23 11:48 AM
. * * Re: Welcome Back NitroExpress! mckinney   30/11/23 12:07 PM
. * * Re: Welcome Back NitroExpress! NitroXAdministrator   30/11/23 05:40 PM
. * * Re: Welcome Back NitroExpress! Huvius   01/12/23 11:01 AM
. * * Re: Welcome Back NitroExpress! DarylS   01/12/23 11:12 AM
. * * Re: Welcome Back NitroExpress! Jim_C   01/12/23 02:49 PM
. * * Re: Welcome Back NitroExpress! sharps4590   02/12/23 06:39 AM
. * * Re: Welcome Back NitroExpress! PatagonHunter   05/12/23 11:10 PM
. * * Re: Welcome Back NitroExpress! Shootingsticks   01/12/23 02:44 PM
. * * Re: Welcome Back NitroExpress! NitroXAdministrator   30/11/23 03:13 AM
. * * Re: Welcome Back NitroExpress! 3DogMike   30/11/23 04:06 AM
. * * Re: Welcome Back NitroExpress! DarylS   30/11/23 04:15 AM
. * * Re: Welcome Back NitroExpress! 85lc   30/11/23 04:18 AM
. * * Re: Welcome Back NitroExpress! Igorrock   30/11/23 06:11 AM
. * * Re: Welcome Back NitroExpress! NitroXAdministrator   30/11/23 06:54 AM
. * * Re: Welcome Back NitroExpress! FlatTop45   30/11/23 11:41 AM
. * * Re: Welcome Back NitroExpress! JDL   30/11/23 06:10 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1570

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com