Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: "When the chips are down - 13 years on"

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: "When the chips are down - 13 years on"
      10/08/23 11:32 PM

I'd be a bit annoyed if I bought a new Heym 88 and had to make so many changes.

But I'll say I've visited the Heym premises in Germany twice. One of the visits I got fitted for a custom stock. And went through what changes, additions, modifications I wanted to the Heym 88B, I think it was. I suppose I might be fussy. Thirteen or more changes, from sights, stock shape, I don't remember them all. And they cost extra often. I had to not go through with the purchase due to farm income issues. Weather and seasons can cause problems, longer term market issues as well.

Later the Heym model 89 was released, one model with English stock styling. One change I had asked for.

The author went for an aweful beavertail forend. NO! I thought NO! Later he had the whole stock revamped, splinter forend, slimmer pistol grip, flatter checkering, different recoil pad.

I hope he got a really good PH discount from Heym with all the aftermarket changes. I'm not knocking Heym, an excellent choice for a new double rifle. Having a good look and feel, holding and shooting a gun is a really good idea for a 20 to 30,000 plus dollar purchase. I've no idea of the current pricing. Working out how you want it in the first place is a good idea.

Funny all the modifications when we are rightfully loathe to modify and spoil our hundred year old working antique firearms. If I can't use my open sights in my Jeffery .450, I'll probably go the route of removing the existing express sight, keeping it for originality, putting a new express sight grooved for a good dot sight. The 117 year old DR could be returned to original.

The issue of all the old guys using stopping rifles and double rifles, their eyes no longer coping with open iron expresssughts, comes up. In this article. Seen it I think twice this fortnight on NE forums, members needing to vamp up the sights dueto lesser eyesight.

I can still mostly cope with express sights. I do have diabetes, but my eyesight has improved from maybe six years ago. Rarely use glasses for reading now, compared to mandatory a few years ago. However astigmatism is an issue for me with dot sights. Mentioned many times by me! Hopefully will find the right one,not a circle,a pointed arrow, and multi moa in size. Point for accuracy. "32" moa for very quick acquisition for fast close range shooting. 2 moa is hopeless. A 1x plus variable scope, illuminated is a good choice as well.

I like how this author makes modifications, filing down the rear leaf, filing the front bead etc. I'd be scared to ffff up my rifle doing this.

He goes through a lot of rifles. If one adds up all the years I reckon he is one hundred! Joking and exaggerating. He must have had some together at the same time.

.375 H&H Mag CZ ZKK 602
.458 Lott CZ
.416 Rigby
450 NE Army & Navy
Then .450 NE Heym 88

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (12/08/23 01:05 AM)

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* "When the chips are down - 13 years on" NitroXAdministrator 10/08/23 05:02 PM
. * * Re: "When the chips are down - 13 years on" 93x64mm   10/08/23 09:29 PM
. * * Re: "When the chips are down - 13 years on" NitroXAdministrator   10/08/23 11:32 PM
. * * Re: "When the chips are down - 13 years on" bwanabobftw   12/08/23 01:00 AM
. * * Re: "When the chips are down - 13 years on" Rule303   12/08/23 11:10 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 86 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1161

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com