Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Any big bears taken with a double?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Any big bears taken with a double?
      03/07/23 06:44 PM

On the subject.

A lot of African PHs carry doubles all day, every day. Loaded, otherwise why else carry a rifle at all?

I wonder how many accidental discharges they have?

I suspect close to zero.

Because maybe they know how to carry a rifle or gun. Finger off the trigger,safety on.

I suspect some of these attitudes also aresafety excessive target range warrior attitudes carrying over to the hunting fields. One sees those attitudes all the time on social media hunter warriors.

Africa isn't always dry and non slippery as well. Swamps and wetlands are plenty slippable. Slimy wood. Grasses and reeds in the wetlands. Like the Top End here.

I think the one deer a year rich clowns booking a hunt might need more than bench rest range shooting experience. And if sitting in a high seat only for whitetail.

One thing I have thought about. The advantages of the Krieghof decocker "safeties". I'll admit I've never used one except in a gunshop or show. But the bolt action Mauser M03 has a decocker many screen experts complain about as well. Me too! Before I used one. It's not a problem.

A good double rifle with a reliable decocker safety would be a great boon. Particularly for a PH or Guide who carries it a lot, loaded, but rarely shoots it.

Krieghof doubles have them. The aweful Blasers did as well. Some other European doubles do as well in various forms.

One great design, the old hammer guns are an excellent design for carrying loaded. An external hammer can still be jared of course.

I've had one accidental discharge. My BLR, Browning Lever Action in .308. Hunting donkeys withntwo selfish arseholes, the worst least satisfying hunt of my life. Because if the pair I had to have a long. From a BS internet hunt club. Anyway inwas driving. We saw some donkeys. They got out and immediately ran toward them. I had to stop as driver, get out, get my rifle and then run after them 50 metres behind. I chambered a round with the lever. While running. Then tried to set the hammer to half cock safety while running. The muzzle safely pointing into the sky. I slipped on the hammer. The rifle went off. The chief arsehole in front of me, turned and yelled abuse at me. He was an expert on everything.i never bothered explaining as it wasn't worth it with this guy.

Btw he also cheated me on the share of fuel costs. I supplied the vehicle but ended up paying most of the fuel costs. He had volunteered to keep the fuel cost register but refused to let me see it. I ended up paying most of the return journey alone to get my vehicle back. And over half the trip North. He was also a tally counting shooter, who argued about whonshot what. Never again with an unknown person. Btw he was briefly on these forums. No wonder Al, his hunts posted were him hunting alone ... The other guy followed him around like a lap dog. .. All besides the point of this thread.

I learned, to never set a hammer to half cock while running. Stop. Do it safely. Then start running again. Even if your fellows are selfish arseholes and shoot everything before you the driver can catch up.

Btw a different subject. On the handgun SIG P226s (I think?) I think they have a decocking lever as well as safety. I liked that feature. Unfortunately let them go, at $1500 they sold quickly.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Any big bears taken with a double? 500grains 11/05/06 11:57 PM
. * * Re: Any big bears taken with a double? Boomer   30/05/06 09:52 PM
. * * Re: Any big bears taken with a double? NitroXAdministrator   12/11/06 04:06 AM
. * * Re: Any big bears taken with a double? DarylS   04/07/23 01:28 AM
. * * Re: Any big bears taken with a double? CptCurlAdministrator   12/05/06 08:39 AM
. * * Re: Any big bears taken with a double? mickey   12/05/06 12:08 PM
. * * Re: Any big bears taken with a double? NitroXAdministrator   12/05/06 02:10 PM
. * * Re: Any big bears taken with a double? 500Nitro   12/05/06 07:55 PM
. * * Re: Any big bears taken with a double? AkMike   13/05/06 01:54 AM
. * * Re: Any big bears taken with a double? Arctic   13/05/06 06:28 PM
. * * Re: Any big bears taken with a double? NitroXAdministrator   30/05/06 03:50 AM
. * * Re: Any big bears taken with a double? Double_Trouble   02/12/06 07:59 AM
. * * Re: Any big bears taken with a double? gunbug   08/02/07 02:32 PM
. * * Re: Any big bears taken with a double? NitroXAdministrator   28/06/23 01:24 AM
. * * Re: Any big bears taken with a double? 458Win   03/07/23 04:44 PM
. * * Re: Any big bears taken with a double? NitroXAdministrator   03/07/23 05:33 PM
. * * Re: Any big bears taken with a double? NitroXAdministrator   03/07/23 06:44 PM
. * * Re: Any big bears taken with a double? waterrat   11/12/06 06:46 PM
. * * Re: Any big bears taken with a double? 458Win   07/01/07 02:33 PM
. * * Re: Any big bears taken with a double? vapodog   02/12/06 07:17 AM
. * * Re: Any big bears taken with a double? NE450No2   12/05/06 01:08 AM
. * * Re: Any big bears taken with a double? DPhillips   12/05/06 04:01 AM
. * * Re: Any big bears taken with a double? Classic416   11/11/06 10:40 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 5135

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com