Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Back to Basics: How to Use Iron Sights On a Rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: Back to Basics: How to Use Iron Sights On a Rifle
      12/12/22 02:20 AM

I for one love to hunt with irons only. In my life I bet about 1/2 of the game I have killed was shot with a rifle using irons. In the last 20-22 years or so, I am betting 75%- 80% of what I have killed was killed using irons only. But it's funny; as I age I find the use of a scope gets me more and more of an advantage. When I was young I had 20/10 Vison (As my Military doctor called it "double perfect") and I could shoot very very well indeed. Well enough to have piled up a good number of trophies and ribbons as well as "blanket shoot prizes". But as I age and am now in the ranks of gezzerhood, I see the large advantage a scope gives me. Nevertheless, I just enjoy the use of iron sighted rifles and I mostly use only irons in my hunts there days.

I hunt for food and for fun. If the season comes down to the last few days and I have not bagged my game I then revert to a scoped rifle (no more Mr Nice Guy) But for the most part, I like hunting with rifles and handguns with only irons. When I do make a kill I feel better about it. Why?....I can't say exactly. I just do.
When I started hunting as a very young boy I used my Dad's M99 300 Savage with irons. I never knew it was a problem and neither did any deer, elk, coyotes, foxes or even horses and cattle on the ranch. When I turned 12, I got my own rifle, a 270 M70 Winchester with a Weaver K4 scope. So it's not like I always used irons when I was a boy, but I did start with them and I never saw them to be a problem. I think as an old man now, I just like the feeling of being out with such rifles again.

In the last 20 years, thinking back on my kills, I can count more then half were killed with rifles and handguns using the issue irons or in some cases an added peep sight. I really just like it better when I hunt with irons sights.

I do not argue that irons are better in ANY way, because I don't think they are truly as good as a good scope---- in ANY way.

I just like them.

Edited by szihn (12/12/22 02:24 AM)

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Back to Basics: How to Use Iron Sights On a Rifle NitroXAdministrator 25/04/22 04:16 PM
. * * Re: Back to Basics: How to Use Iron Sights On a Rifle BillfromOregon   16/11/22 06:08 AM
. * * Re: Back to Basics: How to Use Iron Sights On a Rifle sharps4590   16/11/22 06:55 AM
. * * Re: Back to Basics: How to Use Iron Sights On a Rifle DarylS   16/11/22 08:31 AM
. * * Re: Back to Basics: How to Use Iron Sights On a Rifle 3DogMike   16/11/22 12:32 PM
. * * Re: Back to Basics: How to Use Iron Sights On a Rifle NitroXAdministrator   22/11/22 04:19 AM
. * * Re: Back to Basics: How to Use Iron Sights On a Rifle DarylS   16/11/22 01:33 PM
. * * Re: Back to Basics: How to Use Iron Sights On a Rifle NitroXAdministrator   16/11/22 02:09 PM
. * * Re: Back to Basics: How to Use Iron Sights On a Rifle DarylS   22/11/22 05:32 AM
. * * Re: Back to Basics: How to Use Iron Sights On a Rifle szihn   12/12/22 02:20 AM
. * * Re: Back to Basics: How to Use Iron Sights On a Rifle Rule303   12/12/22 07:31 PM
. * * Re: Back to Basics: How to Use Iron Sights On a Rifle crshelton   16/11/22 03:10 PM
. * * Re: Back to Basics: How to Use Iron Sights On a Rifle NitroXAdministrator   16/11/22 06:38 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 68 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1895

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com