Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Classic calibres and chamberings for sporting rifles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Classic calibres and chamberings for sporting rifles
      18/08/22 09:57 PM

Quote:

cant help myself, I dont see a bright future for the 416 rigby rimmed

not that I want to compare it with the 6,5 creedmoor but this is another answer for a question nobody ask

I'd get one before a .450/400.

I'd like to get a set of barrels for the .416 Rigby No.2 for my Tikka/Valmet U/O double rifle.

It's the same ballistics as the .500/416 NE.

Either would be nice as a chamberings for my Tikka 512.

One advantage is one could self regulate the barrels for either a 400 gr/410 gr load or the heavier .416 450 gr bullet. The latter bullet should out penetrate a 480 gr .458.

It would be cool to have a 250 to 300 gr load as a medium game cartridge. Even if it required a second scope sighted in only for one barrel.

A side by side .416 Rigby No.2 would be nice if I had unlimited funds!

The downside of a .500/416 NE, .416 No.2 and even a .375 V-C is the recoil. The recoil is approaching .450 or .470 NE. Given that, which is more effective?

IMO the .416 Rigby No.2 Rimmed success is guaranteed. If only because Rigby offers it in their optional line up. And ammunition can be sourced. These makers do not need to sell dozens of rifles per year for the cartridge to be a lasting success.

BTW I discussed with Jerome Lanoue, a master gunsmith at Rigbys. He was previously at Verney-Carron. Jerome said the .416 Rigby No.2 is not a proprietary cartridge. So if so, other gunmakers and gunsmiths could chamber rifles for it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Classic calibres and chamberings for sporting rifles NitroXAdministrator 18/08/22 07:50 PM
. * * Re: Classic calibres and chamberings for sporting rifles NitroXAdministrator   18/08/22 09:27 PM
. * * Re: Classic calibres and chamberings for sporting rifles lancaster   18/08/22 08:31 PM
. * * Re: Classic calibres and chamberings for sporting rifles NitroXAdministrator   18/08/22 09:57 PM
. * * Re: Classic calibres and chamberings for sporting rifles crshelton   19/08/22 01:27 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 61 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1630

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com