Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Schrade-Loveless Collaboration

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Bowhunting + Bows, Spears & Knives

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Schrade-Loveless Collaboration
      19/07/22 07:32 PM

Just bought an interesting knife, but first some background:

In the early 1990s I went shopping for a smallish drop-point hunting knife and found a new Schrade PH1 in a local sports store. Carried that knife for years and really liked it, but it was a bit small for field-dressing buffalo so I eventually transitioned to a Tramontina bull skinner coupled with a 5-inch boner and the Schrade went into the collection.

Later I did a bit of internet research, having too few books on the subject, and became quite interested in the history of the Loveless designed drop-point hunting and skinning knives.

Apparently the Schrade drop-point hunter was the result of a collaboration between Bob Loveless and Uncle Henry, the original design being drawn up on the back of a Wolfie's Coffee House menu at the time!
That drawing still exists.
Those early knives were listed in the 1975 and '76 catalogues as the Schrade-Loveless Hunter (RL2) I believe, with burgundy delrin scales and the R.W Loveless/Schrade oval etched on the blade, however sales continued until 1979.
The PH1 and PH2 appeared some time later after an hiatus, featuring black delrin scales (like mine) and were catalogued from 1991 to 1995.

Always wanted one of the early burgundy-handle Loveless knives, and finally found an affordable one for sale on line. Unfortunately it has no reference to Bob Loveless, being etched with *SCHRADE* USA MADE in an oval on the blade, and SCHRADE USA stamped into the ricasso. It is serial numbered though, in the 500s, and was listed by the seller as a "limited edition".

So... Here's my question:
Anyone know enough about these knives to estimate the likely year or period of manufacture?

I am guessing somewhere in the 1977 to 1979 range.

I'll post photos when I get the thing in my hands, and clean it up a bit. Its been well-used and looked a bit second-hand in the listing.

Thanks in advance!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Schrade-Loveless Collaboration Marrakai 19/07/22 07:32 PM
. * * Re: Schrade-Loveless Collaboration Jim_C   20/07/22 01:38 PM
. * * Re: Schrade-Loveless Collaboration Marrakai   20/07/22 02:31 PM
. * * Re: Schrade-Loveless Collaboration Jim_C   22/07/22 06:58 AM
. * * Re: Schrade-Loveless Collaboration Marrakai   22/07/22 12:04 PM
. * * Re: Schrade-Loveless Collaboration Marrakai   22/07/22 12:07 PM
. * * Re: Schrade-Loveless Collaboration CptCurlAdministrator   22/07/22 09:06 PM
. * * Re: Schrade-Loveless Collaboration bouldersmith   25/07/22 03:24 AM
. * * Re: Schrade-Loveless Collaboration Marrakai   25/07/22 03:04 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1976

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com