Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: What Would Jack O’Connor Say About Long-Range Hunting???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: What Would Jack O’Connor Say About Long-Range Hunting???
      18/12/21 01:44 AM

Quote:

I reckon so much has changed over the past 50 years that neither O’Conner nor Elmer Keith would recognise the sport/equipment. The accuracy that we expect and get from off the shelf rifles and ammunition is far superior to that which they both had to use. I dare say that both would be stunned at just how accurate a Tikka T3 performs out of the box.

Then as to long range hunting (oxymoron?) and their opinions. What may have been considered long range then may well not be now. And what we consider long range today they may describe as ridiculous and irresponsible. Not surprising really. Those old barstards were using scopes like 4x Leopolds and their range finders were guesstimates .

Imagine their response to seeing laser rangefinders, computers with ballistic charts and Kahles and or NF sniper scopes in action.

Who knows….perhaps they may even agree, for once, that things sure have changed.

Rod

Very well stated... agree fully..

I made similar statements during this past hunting season.. I remember the time a 400 yard shot was considered a lllooonnnngggg shot.. today, no longer.. long doesnt start until 6 to 800 .. most being even further.. Personally will not shoot game that far but cruise FB and there are tons bragging of their 800, 900 shot on an elk or deer.. I will freely admit I really enjoy banging steel at longish distances.. actually have steel set up on the ranch.. planning to build a bit of a sheltered area next year for the bench area..

Remember the first range finders ?? The one I remember using for archery showed two images..turn the dial until they become one, boom, that's the range.. that was in the 80's..

Yes indeed, they would be shocked by todays technology.. BUT, don't think those 2 would ever agree on anything..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (18/12/21 04:02 AM)

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* What Would Jack O’Connor Say About Long-Range Hunting??? Ripp 16/12/21 02:39 AM
. * * Re: What Would Jack O’Connor Say About Long-Range Hunting??? 85lc   16/12/21 04:11 AM
. * * Re: What Would Jack O’Connor Say About Long-Range Hunting??? 93x64mm   16/12/21 07:28 AM
. * * Re: What Would Jack O’Connor Say About Long-Range Hunting??? DarylS   16/12/21 12:31 PM
. * * Re: What Would Jack O’Connor Say About Long-Range Hunting??? eagle27   16/12/21 02:56 PM
. * * Re: What Would Jack O’Connor Say About Long-Range Hunting??? Marrakai   16/12/21 10:16 PM
. * * Re: What Would Jack O’Connor Say About Long-Range Hunting??? Ripp   17/12/21 01:35 AM
. * * Re: What Would Jack O’Connor Say About Long-Range Hunting??? DarylS   17/12/21 04:44 AM
. * * Re: What Would Jack O’Connor Say About Long-Range Hunting??? NitroXAdministrator   17/12/21 10:11 AM
. * * Re: What Would Jack O’Connor Say About Long-Range Hunting??? Rod4861   17/12/21 07:09 PM
. * * Re: What Would Jack O’Connor Say About Long-Range Hunting??? Ripp   18/12/21 01:44 AM
. * * Re: What Would Jack O’Connor Say About Long-Range Hunting??? DarylS   18/12/21 04:39 AM
. * * Re: What Would Jack O’Connor Say About Long-Range Hunting??? Ripp   18/12/21 06:10 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1396

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com