Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hippo taken on land with a double

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Hippo taken on land with a double
      12/12/20 09:12 PM

wow, finally got back to this thread. Have been planning to since day one it was posted.

Shooting a hippo like that on land, great stuff. I wonder why it saw the need to run, from just near the water over the sand to the other water? Perhaps the first pool was very shallow, and the other water was safe deep river water?

I have never hunted them but come across them several times. Other than just pods in the rivers and lakes.

First land hippo was in a Kenyan "jungle", it was feeding in the bush and when we came around the corner of the bush path, it was like lightning into a pool of water. I got a photo, all it is is a blurred grey flank of the hippo. Maybe 50 feet away from us. They are fast.

I remember being on the Zambezi on a fishing boat, "relaxing" after being thrown off the Gwayi hunting ranch by the "Warvets" in 2001. We were on the river. Our camp was above us on the hillside above the river. A couple of black dues were fishing on the waters edge. Someone somehow on the hill surprised a hippo feeding in the bush between the camp and the river and it came barrelling down the slope at great speed. We thought the two dudes might get swiped, but the hippo changed the angle a bit and came past them instead hitting the water with a great splash.

The closest to a hippo and the most danger was another time, my "Honeymoon Safari" when canoeing on the Zambexi, I stupidly stopped to photograph a male hippo standing on a sandbar not far away. Black dudes on the bank above came to watch stupid mazungus get killed... thankfully we only got glares. THe guide had canoed through fast ahead of us, but I stopped for a photo. And then had to get moving again ... dumb.

Ripp, thanks for posting. I think you friend is very lucky to get in a safari in 2020. Good to see him supporting an outfitter and staff this year. If I had the money I would be there, there must be great deals. Always is, when a "crisis" is happening. Of course I can't even get OUT of this country, no choice in a medical martial law panicdemic and fake crisis.

I like his trophies. The kudu looks very impressive. The lechwe, isn't it (?) nice. WOW that leopard. The hippo, huge. I guess it also supplied a lot of leopard bait?

I remember when offered a "citizens hunt" for lion in Zambia a plan was to shoot a hippo for lion bait. Hell I wish I had done that hunt back in 1989 or 90 ..... not 100% legal as the citizen was not a licensed outfitter, but all the game had "tags" or whatever for them, and a Zambian citizen had legal hunting of them. Damn, I wish I had. Lion and/or leopard, buffalo, hippo, sable etc. The trophies might never have got home, which stopped me at the time

The buffalo - how old would it be? Not much of a boss. Good horn length. Some facial scaring and marks of what could be an older animal? I don't know?

Thanks for posting Ripp. Much appreciated.

Good to see a hippo taken with a double like that on land and on video.

Congratulations to your friend on his trophies and successful safari. In 2020 no less.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Hippo taken on land with a double Ripp 05/12/20 03:19 AM
. * * Re: Hippo taken on land with a double DarylS   05/12/20 04:48 AM
. * * Re: Hippo taken on land with a double Postman   05/12/20 05:39 AM
. * * Re: Hippo taken on land with a double Ripp   05/12/20 11:03 AM
. * * Re: Hippo taken on land with a double Waidmannsheil   05/12/20 12:37 PM
. * * Re: Hippo taken on land with a double Ripp   05/12/20 03:21 PM
. * * Re: Hippo taken on land with a double lancaster   06/12/20 04:06 PM
. * * Re: Hippo taken on land with a double EDELWEISS   07/12/20 01:28 AM
. * * Re: Hippo taken on land with a double ruffcountry   25/12/20 01:11 PM
. * * Re: Hippo taken on land with a double 93x64mm   07/12/20 07:18 AM
. * * Re: Hippo taken on land with a double EDELWEISS   07/12/20 08:45 AM
. * * Re: Hippo taken on land with a double Ripp   07/12/20 02:19 PM
. * * Re: Hippo taken on land with a double Ripp   09/12/20 01:47 AM
. * * Re: Hippo taken on land with a double NitroXAdministrator   12/12/20 09:12 PM
. * * Re: Hippo taken on land with a double NitroXAdministrator   12/12/20 09:20 PM
. * * Re: Hippo taken on land with a double Ripp   13/12/20 12:23 PM
. * * Re: Hippo taken on land with a double BigBoomer   18/12/20 06:59 AM
. * * Re: Hippo taken on land with a double Ripp   18/12/20 08:31 AM
. * * Re: Hippo taken on land with a double Postman   24/12/20 01:28 PM
. * * Re: Hippo taken on land with a double rigbymauser   21/12/20 01:47 AM
. * * Re: Hippo taken on land with a double NitroXAdministrator   21/12/20 05:04 PM
. * * Re: Hippo taken on land with a double Rule303   21/12/20 12:12 PM
. * * Re: Hippo taken on land with a double Postman   13/12/20 01:33 AM
. * * Re: Hippo taken on land with a double NitroXAdministrator   13/12/20 03:44 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2711

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com