Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Fake Howdah(s)

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
Re: Fake Howdah(s)
      25/08/20 02:37 AM

So, my take away from this, (which by the way is perhaps the best single description and discussion of the Howdah pistol topic), is that there were very few purpose built Howdah guns, either ML or cartridge variants and not all hunts/hunters had access to or bothered with them BUT when they did choose to carry one it was likely a pistol already available having been pressed into service originally from another design.

Today we (me?) tend to think of them as double barreled (or perhaps 4 barreled) in large (larger bore) powerful loadings. Ive seen no references to single shot guns being called Howdahs, although there clearly were/are examples of large bore powerful single shot handguns. Perhaps there never were single shot pistols carried as defense guns when hunting or travelling by elephant, although I find that unlikely. More likely I think, the multi barreled guns are a simply more "romantic" and better sold to the uninformed when compared to the few actual examples

Very little of that actually matters to ME (beyond the historical/theoretical), as I will probably never own an REAL original Howdah. That being said I still lust for the idea. I can satisfy my lust with fabricated guns and I suppose even modern versions. Large bore hunting (and dare I say "stopping") guns exist. Today they tend to be Single and Double action revolvers and perhaps even the 50 caliber Desert Eagle. The "Six Guns" and Autos just dont entice me the way the Doubles do. For me a Howdah will always be a Howdah; but maybe I might not pay as much for it just because someone calls it a "Howdah"....

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Fake Howdah(s) TH44 23/08/20 03:25 AM
. * * Re: Fake Howdah(s) EDELWEISS   23/08/20 05:17 AM
. * * Re: Fake Howdah(s) Marrakai   23/08/20 07:35 AM
. * * Re: Fake Howdah(s) NitroXAdministrator   23/08/20 02:33 PM
. * * Re: Fake Howdah(s) NitroXAdministrator   23/08/20 02:35 PM
. * * Re: Fake Howdah(s) EDELWEISS   25/08/20 02:37 AM
. * * Re: Fake Howdah(s) TH44   25/08/20 08:32 AM
. * * Re: Fake Howdah(s) DarylS   25/08/20 01:17 PM
. * * Re: Fake Howdah(s) lancaster   26/08/20 04:24 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2149

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com