Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Cape Buff

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: Cape Buff
      18/06/05 05:09 AM

Pete,

It also depends on what you mean by "best value" do you mean least expensive, best quality product & customer service etc etc.

Here's a few examples of what I mean.

The least expensive Buff hunts are probably to be found in Zimbabwe but that country has a lot of political problems which probably won't affect you directly but will effect you indirectly. For example a lot of hunters have problems exporting their trophies, there's a lot of people selling hunting on illegally seized land - and also there's the shortages of such essentials such as fuel, coke and worse of all BEER! - but if you feel you can cope with that and you book with the right company then there are some good buys out there. On some areas there's always the chance of being run off by so called war veterans.

Mozambique has good hunting, but it's also very tough hunting. The Buff are ultra twitchy compared to many other African countries and (IMO) success rates are considerably lower than most other African countries. I know of one concession up there that failed to shoot a single Buffalo in the entire 2004 season. If you go at the wrong time it's hotter than hell.

South Africa has pretty much 100% success rates on Buff and trophy quality is excellent, but it's very expensive and you'll be hunting out of small herds in fenced areas.

Tanzania has the most numerous Buff populations anywhere in Africa (according to the Frankfurt Zoological Society). If you hunt Selous you may well find yourself hunting into herds of 600 + and occasionally a lot bigger. 2 years ago I was hunting there with a Brit client and we stopped to film a herd of well over 1000.........BUT Tanzania isn't cheap. (Although in my opinion, it's the best) Success rates here probably average very close to 100% - However, the buffer zones are mostly a waste of time and every year some hunters end up being conned into hunting areas that are often charmingly described as something like "adjacent to the Selous"

Botswana has good Buff hunting in and around the Okavango. Trophy quality is good and camps are very luxurious - but due to the small quota's issued by the Botswana Govt, prices are very high and you are very limited as to what else you can take on the same hunt.

So the first thing you need to decide is what you mean by "best value" - but you need to remember that there's no such thing as a free lunch and good quality, good customer service, good areas & good staff etc all have to be paid for.... If price is your prime consideration (and there's nothing wrong with that) then you need to be aware that you'll need to be prepared to sacrifice a degree of quality in some of the things I've mentioned.......

All that said, many people rate Tanzania as the real Mecca of Buffalo hunting. - and I wouldn't disagree with 'em

Wherever you choose & whoever you choose to book with, beware of anything that looks too good to be true - because it probably will be. Africa has more thn it's fair share of con artists and amateurs etc.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by shakari (18/06/05 05:46 AM)

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Cape Buff peteQLD 17/06/05 08:22 AM
. * * Re: Cape Buff NitroXAdministrator   17/06/05 01:23 PM
. * * Re: Cape Buff 470Nitro   17/06/05 07:31 PM
. * * Re: Cape Buff shakari   18/06/05 03:28 AM
. * * Re: Cape Buff NitroXAdministrator   18/06/05 04:04 AM
. * * Re: Cape Buff 475Guy   18/06/05 04:19 AM
. * * Re: Cape Buff shakari   18/06/05 05:09 AM
. * * Re: Cape Buff mikeh416Rigby   18/06/05 12:26 PM
. * * Re: Cape Buff shakari   18/06/05 04:10 PM
. * * Re: Cape Buff 475Guy   17/06/05 09:04 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2559

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com