Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 8 bore pressures and barrel dimensions

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 8 bore pressures and barrel dimensions
      05/09/19 02:02 AM

The "nominal" bore size for a true 8 bore is .835". A pure lead ball that size, weighs 875gr.

It was common to use one bore size smaller ball, which would be 9 bore, at .803" with a substantial patch. A 9 bore pure lead ball weighs 777.8gr.

The pressure for whatever charge you could handle, will be extremely low. I would estimate never over about 6,000 to 8,000 psi at 1,200fps to 1,300fps - for whatever ball diameter you choose.

I had a late 19th century SxS 12 bore, stamped with "Whitworth Fluid Steel" barrels. I assume it is hot cast, then bored. They were nitro proofed.

Keep up "posted", ironoxide.

For an .830" smooth bore, I would most likely use the 9 bore mould to allow a thick patch and lots of lube. You should be able to load a ball that size and .018" denim patch quite easily.

The bore might need a scrubbing with scotch-brite cloth and oil. This is an abrasive thick plastic conglomerate that really smooths minor problems out well.

I used it on a ladies' rifle barrel at the rendezvous last week and now she's back to shooting the whole course of fire without having to wipe the bore, not even once. With a decent patch, you wipe the bore as you load. Before, it had a 'rough' spot just about under the sights that prevented her from pushing the ball past after only 2 shots. This roughness happened due to poor cleaning practices - using commercial shitty products.

I made about 30 passes with the scotch-brite, lubed with WD40, full length of the bore and this smoothed it up.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* 8 bore pressures and barrel dimensions ironoxide 05/09/19 01:16 AM
. * * Re: 8 bore pressures and barrel dimensions DarylS   05/09/19 02:02 AM
. * * Re: 8 bore pressures and barrel dimensions ironoxide   06/09/19 11:30 PM
. * * Re: 8 bore pressures and barrel dimensions DarylS   06/09/19 11:58 PM
. * * Re: 8 bore pressures and barrel dimensions tinkerModerator   07/09/19 04:18 AM
. * * Re: 8 bore pressures and barrel dimensions ironoxide   09/09/19 09:30 PM
. * * Re: 8 bore pressures and barrel dimensions ironoxide   16/06/21 10:07 PM
. * * Re: 8 bore pressures and barrel dimensions tinkerModerator   06/09/19 11:57 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 3813

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com