Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Most memorable hunt in N.A.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Most memorable hunt in N.A.
      14/06/03 07:44 AM

Ovis-great story-thanks. Too bad you didn't connect with that monster though. My most memorable hunt occured back in the early '80s up in the Yukon Territories Olgive Mountains. A friend of mine and I booked a 14 day Dall Sheep hunt, and it was the last hunt of the season, as we wanted the ram's hair to be prime. Anyway, after flying into base camp, and spending the night in a nice log cabin, my friend and I along with our guides, loaded up a pack string of horses and set out for a 6 hour trip up the Tatundik River where we set up a spike camp. The next morning we started hunting, with Larry and his guide heading up one basin, and my guide and I heading up another. The hunting Gods were smiling on us that day, as we both took nice rams that were better than a full curl. The next morning we broke camp after capeing out the heads, and headed back to base camp where we were going to hunt for moose. I was the last person in the pack string, when we came around a bend in the river. Just then, a rather large Grizzly Bear sauntered out of the woods. When I saw this, I reached into my saddle bags to dig out my Super 8 (remember them) movie camera to get some footage of the bear. About that time, the bear stood up on his hind legs, and when it did, my horse saw him for the first time, and threw a coniption fit! It started bucking, and threw me off into the middle of the river. The air temperature was around 35F., and the water around freezing as well. The horse took off down river to catch up with the pack string, and there I am in the middle of the river with a Grizzly standing up on its hind legs looking at me from around 40 yards away. The bear then swapped ends, and ran off into the forest. A minute or so later, the guides and my friend came back to see what happened to me, because my horse passed them at a full gallop headed back to base camp. Of course my buddy had to get his camera out and get movies of me standing in the middle of the river, soaking wet. We unloaded my gear from one of the pack horses, and I was able to change into dry clothes before starting the long walk back to camp. About 2 hours later, the outfitter appeared coming up the river, as he got really concerned when my horse came running back to camp minus its rider. Fortunately, he brought another horse with him so I didn't have to walk all the way back.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Most memorable hunt in N.A. mikeh416Rigby 13/06/03 11:06 AM
. * * Re: Most memorable hunt in N.A. ovis   13/06/03 01:03 PM
. * * Re: Most memorable hunt in N.A. mikeh416Rigby   14/06/03 07:44 AM
. * * Re: Most memorable hunt in N.A. coues   14/06/03 05:15 PM
. * * Re: Most memorable hunt in N.A. mikeh416Rigby   14/06/03 10:38 PM
. * * Re: Most memorable hunt in N.A. coues   15/06/03 03:02 PM
. * * Re: Most memorable hunt in N.A. mikeh416Rigby   16/06/03 12:19 AM
. * * Re: Most memorable hunt in N.A. gryphon   16/06/03 06:43 AM
. * * Re: Most memorable hunt in N.A. mikeh416Rigby   16/06/03 07:55 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1557

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com