Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Aging Eyes and Old Classic Iron Sight Doubles - What to Do??

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Aging Eyes and Old Classic Iron Sight Doubles - What to Do??
      02/06/19 11:06 AM

I understand your dilemma only to well, having perfect eyesight for reading and iron sight use but needing prescription glasses for watching TV and longer range vision. Originally my prescription lenses were not so strong to affect my short range vision but over the years I have needed slightly stronger lenses for my glasses which I need to remove for the short range stuff.

While glasses are a nuisance in rain, sweat fogging, dust etc., being self darkening they are good for bright light and snow conditions where one would normally need to wear sunglasses anyway. They do also have the benefit of providing eye protection in case of any blow back when using firearms.

When hunting in early days with my Mauser 404, including on buffalo, I could use the English safari type sights no problem with my glasses but even before my eyesight deteriorated as the years went by, I made the decision to fit an occluded sight which I later replaced with an EER Leupold scope. I found when working up accurate loads, including cast bullet loads, the wide shallow V of the English safari sight was not conducive to good shooting off the bench (for me anyway, others may well be more proficient).

The original Vietnam era Single Point green dot occluded sight was good for fast shooting at close range, and I did shoot a few hoofed animals with it in bush hunting, but not ideal for careful sighting shots on the range, take too long and my eyes lost the dot.

The little 2x Leupold is great and I would have no hesitation using it at close range on dangerous game. It offers the advantages of a single aiming point, slightly magnified target, and can be used with one eye closed as many do when using scope, or both eyes open providing fast target acquisition and awareness.
With the ocular bell of the scope just back over the magazine opening from the receiver ring this mounting leaves good room for loading the magazine especially if one was in a hurry.

As for 'modifying' a classic, I concur some place collector value on their firearms for reasons of their own but I'm not one as I only have firearms as a tool to get a job done and if they don't suit or can't be modified to suit for purpose I won't own.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Aging Eyes and Old Classic Iron Sight Doubles - What to Do?? Postman 30/05/19 11:05 PM
. * * Re: Aging Eyes and Old Classic Iron Sight Doubles - What to Do?? Sarg   31/05/19 06:42 AM
. * * Re: Aging Eyes and Old Classic Iron Sight Doubles - What to Do?? mauserand9mm   31/05/19 07:44 PM
. * * Re: Aging Eyes and Old Classic Iron Sight Doubles - What to Do?? DarylS   01/06/19 02:15 AM
. * * Re: Aging Eyes and Old Classic Iron Sight Doubles - What to Do?? Rule303   01/06/19 05:54 PM
. * * Re: Aging Eyes and Old Classic Iron Sight Doubles - What to Do?? Rod4861   01/06/19 07:37 PM
. * * Re: Aging Eyes and Old Classic Iron Sight Doubles - What to Do?? Postman   01/06/19 11:04 PM
. * * Re: Aging Eyes and Old Classic Iron Sight Doubles - What to Do?? eagle27   02/06/19 11:06 AM
. * * Re: Aging Eyes and Old Classic Iron Sight Doubles - What to Do?? WVFRED   03/06/19 06:35 AM
. * * Re: Aging Eyes and Old Classic Iron Sight Doubles - What to Do?? 470evans   03/06/19 11:04 PM
. * * Re: Aging Eyes and Old Classic Iron Sight Doubles - What to Do?? BillG500   02/06/19 10:44 AM
. * * Re: Aging Eyes and Old Classic Iron Sight Doubles - What to Do?? DarylS   01/06/19 11:03 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 56 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 3197

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com