Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 12 Bore rifle on a Greener GP action ?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Juglansregia
.275 member

Reged: 20/04/08
Loc: Tasmania
Re: 12 Bore rifle on a Greener GP action ?
      12/02/19 09:20 AM

I've machined a few hand-fulls of stock sets for them in two "English" styles with a pistol grip butt-stock, which has given me an insight into how several of them turned out.

Research barrel profiles thoroughly. I've seen a few built which were too light, and a few which were way too heavy. Try and achieve the desired weight, and the right balance. Obviously there is a personal element to all that.

Most of the lever conversions I've seen subsequently done, are a bit of a letdown (literally). Levers not let into the grip, not well formed, and not secured by whatever means.

There are nicer ways, but a quick-n-dirty means is to sneak a suitably sized rare earth magnet into position, secured in the grip, and watch folk try to figure out how the lever comes home so nicely! Too big a magnet = too aggressive and noisy. These rare earth magnets last and last, and they are super strong for the size. Worth considering.

I say that because the levers are rarely re-worked to be a nice fit, inlet into the grip. Time, money, or what-have-you - and to go to the trouble of securing the lever seems rarer again.

The second simplest way, I reckon, is to employ the original lever latch design (suitably modified) into the back of the lever. If the lever body is inlet into the grip it's only visible when the lever is open and it's a reliable system.

I've seen a few levers inlet into steel grip caps with an interference fit........with the lever and cap hard they work OK, but will eventually wear and if it's the only attempt to retain the lever, not a real good idea IMO.

As with barrel profiles, choose a blank of suitable density if re-stocking. Less work when it comes time to balancing.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* 12 Bore rifle on a Greener GP action ? theprof1 09/02/19 09:46 PM
. * * Re: 12 Bore rifle on a Greener GP action ? Juglansregia   12/02/19 09:20 AM
. * * Re: 12 Bore rifle on a Greener GP action ? theprof1   12/02/19 09:33 PM
. * * Re: 12 Bore rifle on a Greener GP action ? Juglansregia   13/02/19 08:55 AM
. * * Re: 12 Bore rifle on a Greener GP action ? 450_Ackley   12/02/19 10:07 PM
. * * Re: 12 Bore rifle on a Greener GP action ? dracb   13/02/19 05:30 AM
. * * Re: 12 Bore rifle on a Greener GP action ? 450_Ackley   13/02/19 06:41 AM
. * * Re: 12 Bore rifle on a Greener GP action ? dracb   13/02/19 08:37 AM
. * * Re: 12 Bore rifle on a Greener GP action ? DarylS   13/02/19 05:09 AM
. * * Re: 12 Bore rifle on a Greener GP action ? Sarg   09/02/19 10:45 PM
. * * Re: 12 Bore rifle on a Greener GP action ? theprof1   09/02/19 11:31 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 5219

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com