Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Rising block single shot

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

baileybradshaw
.333 member

Reged: 21/06/08
Loc: Diana, TX
Rising block single shot
      31/10/18 01:24 PM

This is the single shot version of my new action design. I also have a double rifle version.

Trying to make something unique these days is very difficult. Most of the ideas I've come up with have been thought of long ago, the good ones anyway. This design idea hit me as I came to an impasse with another idea I was trying to bring to life. Once I put it on paper, the action sort of designed itself. Each feature just fell into place and kept in line with my design philosophy, which is to keep things simple, efficient, with as few parts as possible and make them as robust as is practical.

Description of operation

When the lever latch is depressed and the under lever is lowered, a spur on the under lever pushes the in-line, coil spring driven striker to the rear, as the barrel and forend assembly are pushed up, exposing the breech. Once the striker is fully retracted, the sear engages a notch in the striker, and the trigger is then allowed to set, holding the sear engaged. This trigger/sear arrangement is the same as many bolt action rifles. The last bit of travel on lowering the under lever allows the front end of the lever to make contact with and actuate the extractor. The leverage on the extractor is tremendous, and a caming action give the extractor enough acceleration to effectively eject the spent case with ease. The lever throw is only 30 degrees, and can easily be closed with one hand making reloading quick and smooth. The safety rotates into position, greatly reducing the chance of it being jarred off, and blocks both the trigger and the sear making the rifle well guarded against accidental discharge. Excessive testing with impacts from all angles failed to make the safety disengage, or allow the action to dry fire.

With the action open, access to the breech is far greater than that of a falling block action, especially with a scope mounted. The forend stays mounted to the barrel, and travels up with the barrel on opening. Mounted with a free travel fit to the front of the action keeps any pressure from pushing against the barrel, ruining accuracy.

Upon closing, The barrel block traveling on a 2 degree angle, nestles into the frame of the action, the trunions extending above the chamber on each side, providing complete support. The front of the action has a seat the supports the front of the barrel shank just in front of the barrel block. All of this contact surface makes the rifle feel as one solid assembly when closed.

--------------------
www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Rising block single shot baileybradshaw 31/10/18 01:24 PM
. * * Re: Rising block single shot NitroXAdministrator   03/11/18 06:47 PM
. * * Re: Rising block single shot DarylS   04/11/18 06:38 AM
. * * Re: Rising block single shot baileybradshaw   04/11/18 02:00 PM
. * * Re: Rising block single shot NitroXAdministrator   04/11/18 10:53 PM
. * * Re: Rising block single shot DarylS   05/11/18 03:54 AM
. * * Re: Rising block single shot DarylS   31/10/18 02:15 PM
. * * Re: Rising block single shot 93x64mm   05/11/18 09:07 AM
. * * Re: Rising block single shot baileybradshaw   05/11/18 02:40 PM
. * * Re: Rising block single shot CptCurlAdministrator   14/12/18 10:15 PM
. * * Re: Rising block single shot baileybradshaw   16/12/18 11:27 AM
. * * Re: Rising block single shot baileybradshaw   12/05/19 02:08 AM
. * * Re: Rising block single shot Louis   31/10/18 03:30 PM
. * * Re: Rising block single shot NitroXAdministrator   31/10/18 10:14 PM

Extra information
1 registered and 54 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 5463

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com