Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Russell Moccasin Experiences

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Russell Moccasin Experiences
      06/09/18 06:20 PM

Quote:

Do any of you have any good recommendations for other boots to look at?

Never used Russell's and reading the responses never will.

"Everyone" nowadays seems to sell their soul for the highest amount to be able to buy Courtney boots. Great theme and soemtimes unusal leather. I think they were great when they had crap rubber tyre soles and could be bought for $25 in Bulawayo at the factory door. But for PLUS US$300 to $600 or GBP 350 plus no way. Except as a gimmick. They do have better soles now, but lack the construction of a decent boot in my opinion.

I now almost always use one of my two pairs of Scarpas. One is supposedly lighter than the other. The heavier pair I use in mountains and wetter, colder environments. They don't have soft soles though. But I have worn them anywhere from safari in Africa, buffalo hunting in the Top End of Australia, sambar hunting in the Victorian Alps, even for a tourist trip to Transylvania, where they were worn every day for three weeks. Why there? i had been experiencing pain in my right foot's sole for over two or three years. So started wearing boots with good support and by the end of the trip, the problem was solved. But are very well made and mould the foot well. One realises when boots are crap, when one's feet or foot hurts at the end of the day. Not a problem with Scarpas.

Actually back to Courtney's on my first safari, the PH had the new Courtney's boots, they were newish back in 1994. On one day where we had to walk a long long way, he had blisters at the end of the day, I didn't.

I have other boots. But usually take a pair of my Rossi work boots as the 'second' pair of boots on a trip. South Australian made and very popular here. But the opposite to Scarpas. Still well made, but slip on boots with very little support, flat soles. One reason I probably had pain in one foot's sole. Not very good for long rough country hikes or hunting, especially if rocky. But far better than some crap tennis shoes. I remember wearing a set of tennis style shoes on a Flinders Ranges mountain goat hunt, them wearing out the soles in a single day's hunting on the rocky slopes.

I used to have no problem wearing such as these on an African safari, ie the Rossi's (or the similar Blundstones) and being relatively soft soled relatively quiet for hunting. I remember the PH examining them thinking they would be heavy noisy soled boots, but he was surprised. Nowadays, with older feet, I desire much better support.

Also have good Rossi boots made to a better 'hiking' standard, and other boots. The Scarpas are what I turn to for serious use, and the Rossi work boots as a "camp" boot and emergency use.

When younger, and not that long ago, I sometimes used to hunt barefoot ... ouch!

I think your main issue is needing to find boots that fit your feet. And from your comments may need to be able to be custom made or partly custom made.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Russell Moccasin Experiences 5thGenTexan 30/07/18 07:24 AM
. * * Re: Russell Moccasin Experiences Ripp   30/07/18 10:04 AM
. * * Re: Russell Moccasin Experiences Postman   30/07/18 11:31 AM
. * * Re: Russell Moccasin Experiences 5thGenTexan   03/09/18 01:00 PM
. * * Re: Russell Moccasin Experiences NitroXAdministrator   06/09/18 06:20 PM
. * * Re: Russell Moccasin Experiences Ripp   04/09/18 04:22 PM
. * * Re: Russell Moccasin Experiences CptCurlAdministrator   03/09/18 09:59 PM
. * * Re: Russell Moccasin Experiences Rothhammer1   30/07/18 01:03 PM
. * * Re: Russell Moccasin Experiences Rell   31/07/18 04:29 AM
. * * Re: Russell Moccasin Experiences Ripp   31/07/18 11:45 AM
. * * Re: Russell Moccasin Experiences MagnumHunter   01/08/18 10:49 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 4075
Calendar Event: 30/07/18

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com