Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: My new trio

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> 'Classic' Firearms Photos & Archive

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: My new trio
      25/04/18 03:55 AM

Yeah - good stuff.

However I ruined a barrel with Pyrodex RS back in the 70's. I would not use it today, if I were you.

According to Bill Knight who has done extensive tests on about all powders available, the perchlorates in Pyrodex, 17% of it's actual composition, is ruinous to barrels and brass alike.

By itself as in non-combusted, it is almost inert. Add heat and them moisture, it is poison to your barrel & much faster acting than standard chlorates used in corrosive primers of the past. Too - because of being 17% of your charge, it is many times worse than corrosive priming.

I would look into it, if I were you.

Graff's in the States will ship real BP directly to your door.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perchlorate

"To continue a bit on that. (Bill Knight)
Few shooters today realize that the GOEX now on the market is a vast improvement over what had been produced in the old Moosic, PA plant.
The fertilizer grade potassium nitrate that Moosic was forced to use contained some residual unreacted potassium chloride. The process used by Vicksburg to produce the potassium nitrate was only 98% efficient. There was always some residual potassium chloride in the powder. Of course then in the residue. Making the residue extremely corrosive under certain conditions. And chloride salts are noted for both rust films and pit corrosion. When you read this think of the corrosive military primers used in the .30 caliber cartridges. Primers made corrosive by a fraction of a grain of a perchlorate. With the black powder residue well above that fraction of a grain in chloride content. As far as I could see none of the black powders being made today use a potassium nitrate that contains any unreacted potassium chloride. So while the powder residue might cause light rust films in the bore you will not see the nasty destructive pit corrosion seen in the past where they had to use a fertilizer grade potassium nitrate."

Now, hopefully you will do the math - Pyrodex's composition is 17% perchlorates. That means 17 grains of every 100 grain of Pyrodex, is perchlorate, not a fraction of a grain, or even a full grain, not 8 1/2 grains per 50gr. powder charge.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* My new trio Trailboss 10/04/18 07:47 AM
. * * Re: My new trio cordite   10/04/18 08:52 AM
. * * Re: My new trio Trailboss   10/04/18 09:11 AM
. * * Re: My new trio lancaster   10/04/18 02:07 PM
. * * Re: My new trio Trailboss   19/04/18 09:01 PM
. * * Re: My new trio 93x64mm   20/04/18 07:38 AM
. * * Re: My new trio DarylS   20/04/18 07:56 AM
. * * Re: My new trio cordite   21/04/18 10:28 AM
. * * Re: My new trio lancaster   21/04/18 07:33 PM
. * * Re: My new trio DarylS   22/04/18 01:48 AM
. * * Re: My new trio Trailboss   24/04/18 06:27 AM
. * * Re: My new trio 93x64mm   24/04/18 07:21 AM
. * * Re: My new trio DarylS   25/04/18 03:55 AM
. * * Re: My new trio Trailboss   25/04/18 08:26 AM
. * * Re: My new trio Trailboss   22/05/18 07:13 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 57 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 6704

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com