Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Win a booklet "Wild Deer of Australia"

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Brooks
.224 member

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Nebraska
Re: Win a booklet "Wild Deer of Australia"
      03/06/03 01:02 PM

This is story mostly about my wife's first deer. A fallow deer taken in New Zealand. I got talked into a Red Stag hunt in New Zealand by a friend of mind for 30 years. He recommended Shane Qinn Alpine Adventures. I told him I wanted a free range hunt but, he replied it wasn't but the area was so rugged you felt you were hunting Red stag in a remote wilderness. Well after a five mile drive on this two track back into the bush where Shane has his home, you felt the hunt was going to be a free range hunt. We were in the mountains of the North of Island and boy were they were rugged. I saw many stags during the hunt. But, I wanted to hunt on foot and I wanted a heavy beamed animal. After three days of walking, stalking, climbing, falling down. I finally found the stag, I had of always dreamed of getting. My wife went with me while I hunted, she wanted to see what it was like. She had never hunted big game before and Shane talked her into hunting since we had four more days there at his place. I should mention, my wife had never fired a large caliber rifle before. Shane lent us his Steyr-Manlicher pro hunter .308 for her to use. She fired two shots at a target, bulls eye both times. She opted to hunt Fallow deer. She was kind of worn out by now by all the climbing so we took a four wheeler to the top of the mountain using game trails. In the process, the four wheeler hit a slick spot and rolled over on top of us. Luckly no one was hurt. We hunted downhill from there, we did this for three days, after glassing the three days and never getting closer than several hundred yards. If it could go wrong it went wrong. That last afternoon there,my wife said something is going to die today. Well about an two hours before dark, we spotted this beautiful Fallow Buck. It was big and wide. Because it was in the wide open, we had to detour around back of mountain and back up a valley. We got within about two hundred yards of the Fallow buck but two red stags were in front of it. The guide says there it is. My wife settled in laying down prone with a knap sack for a rest. The guide says please don't shoot the stag. The two stags were in front of the Fallow almost blocking the shot. My wife waited it seemed like ages before the Red stags moved out of the way for a clear shot. My wife had to make a head on shot because it was getting close to dark and few more minutes she would not be able to see, the light was going fast. She made incredible downhill shot hitting the animal right in the V of the neck, dropping it right there. The main beams on this animal were 30 inches long. There was no ground strinkage on this animal. I do not know if this was a fallow deer or not but my wife or I did not care. My wife was so excited, it was unbelievable. She later said, she now understood why I love to hunt. It was not the kill but everything that led up to it. The beautiful countryside, the people you meet, she could not stop talking about even when we got back to the states.

Brooks

--------------------
Brooks

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Win a booklet "Wild Deer of Australia" NitroXAdministrator 09/03/03 10:08 PM
. * * Re: Win a booklet "Wild Deer of Australia" Brooks   03/06/03 01:02 PM
. * * Re: Win a booklet "Wild Deer of Australia" AspenHill   03/06/03 11:07 PM
. * * Re: Win a booklet "Wild Deer of Australia" NitroXAdministrator   11/06/03 12:12 AM
. * * Re: Win a booklet "Wild Deer of Australia" deadeye   09/03/03 12:53 PM
. * * Re: Win a booklet "Wild Deer of Australia" NitroXAdministrator   09/03/03 10:08 PM
. * * Re: Win a booklet "Wild Deer of Australia" NitroXAdministrator   14/04/03 11:58 PM
. * * Re: Win a booklet "Wild Deer of Australia" AspenHill   22/04/03 02:48 AM
. * * Win a booklet - competition closing June 2, 2003 NitroExpressComAdministrator   25/05/03 02:50 AM
. * * Re: Win a booklet "Wild Deer of Australia" gryphon   21/02/03 05:10 PM
. * * Re: Win a booklet "Wild Deer of Australia" NitroXAdministrator   23/02/03 02:12 AM
. * * Re: Win a booklet "Wild Deer of Australia" cchunter   23/02/03 11:48 AM
. * * Re: Win a booklet "Wild Deer of Australia" gryphon   24/02/03 01:01 PM
. * * Re: Win a booklet "Wild Deer of Australia" NitroXAdministrator   25/02/03 04:05 PM
. * * Re: Win a booklet "Wild Deer of Australia" gryphon   26/02/03 06:40 AM
. * * Re: Win a booklet "Wild Deer of Australia" NitroXAdministrator   26/02/03 02:43 PM
. * * Re: Win a booklet "Wild Deer of Australia" gryphon   26/02/03 04:57 PM
. * * Re: Win a booklet "Wild Deer of Australia" cchunter   26/02/03 07:59 AM
. * * That First Buck! AspenHill   21/02/03 05:03 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 6320

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com