Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: BACK FROM THE CENTRAL AFRICA REP. A wild Safari!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: BACK FROM THE CENTRAL AFRICA REP. A wild Safari!
      16/05/05 05:38 PM

Dear Adam,

Sorry to answer this late.
In the jungle the average distance is under 10 yards. Sometimes you cannot see both your own hands.
On the flood plains 100 -200 yards is the rule.
On the hills where the eland is roaming , 50 -100 yards.

Concerning coming back to Kotto Safari, this safari is what You want but cheap.
I am craving to hunt there next year again. As I got a lion and an eland, now leopard and bongo are high on my list.
Typically, I’d act this way :
Early in the morning (tse-tse time), searching for Bongo tracks. We find tracks of a night wandering Bongo, we follow them, in the murk of the jungle. We have better to catch with the (hopefully deaf, because of our noisy progression) Bongo up before midday. If not, the jungle is then a steaming sauna and we have to let down. I meet a male bongo, I shoot him with the rifle, of course. Such a rarity should not be missed because of a lousy arrow eating branches and foliage.
We fail finding Bongo spoor, then we follow buff or roan spoor and I do my best to arrow one. The arrow option has 2 advantages, sport and stealth.
We fail finding any spoor, we drive back to the camp keeping an eye one the valleys and rivers for waterbuck, wart-hog and bushpig.
In the end of the afternoon, again on the road looking for the waterbuck, wart-hog, bushpig and duikers in case one could be arrowed (stealth).
At sunset 2 options : in a blind (or hide or high stand) either for leopard or for bongo.; either with the bow or the 375HH.

My problem is that this safari is not cheap and worst, I need my cousin along for he is a real asset as a partner. And this year my cousin would prefer a less expensive safari such plainsgame in the South of Africa or in the Burkina Faso. 500grains and ErikD posted Charlton and Mc Callum offers which are really tempting.
A real dilemma.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* BACK FROM THE CENTRAL AFRICA REP. A wild Safari! larcher 04/04/05 07:01 PM
. * * Re: BACK FROM THE CENTRAL AFRICA REP. A wild Safari! mikeh416Rigby   19/06/05 10:36 AM
. * * Re: BACK FROM THE CENTRAL AFRICA REP. A wild Safar NitroXAdministrator   14/04/05 02:29 PM
. * * Re: BACK FROM THE CENTRAL AFRICA REP. A wild Safari! EricD   06/04/05 06:13 AM
. * * Re: BACK FROM THE CENTRAL AFRICA REP. A wild Safari! AdamTayler   05/04/05 02:41 PM
. * * Re: BACK FROM THE CENTRAL AFRICA REP. A wild Safari! larcher   16/05/05 05:38 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 286 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Thread views: 2402

You rated this thread a 5.
Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com