Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 600NE Bernardelli Sidelock Double Rifle project - long story

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

buckstix
.400 member

Reged: 07/11/12
Loc: Whitetail Country
600NE Bernardelli Sidelock Double Rifle project - long story
      29/09/17 07:30 AM

600NE Bernardelli Sidelock Double Rifle project - long story

You may recall my post about my custom 700NE build from a while back. That post has about 2,000 hits to date.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=280803&an=0&page=3#Post280803

Along the same lines, I've always wanted a BIG BORE "Sidelock" Double Rifle. So, shortly after the 700NE build was completed, I contacted Aaron Little about building me another Custom Double Rifle, but this one in 600NE on a sidelock. I sent him my 10ga Bernardelli Venus Royal Best Gun to evaluate. The Bernardelli was from 1972, during a time when Bernardelli was building some of their Finest High-Grade shotguns for the U.S. market. Here's the original listing, and some "before" photos.

Aaron carefully examined the Bernardelli and gave his blessing for the build, deeming the Bernardelli would be suitable for the project. I discussed my desires for the build;

- 26" barrels
- 14 pounds 12 ounce weight
- 14-3/8" LOP
- Red Silvers style recoil pad
- "Flip-Over" Moon Bead Front Sight

Aaron indicated that all this was doable. I gave the go-ahead, and then ..... the waiting started for Aaron to perform his majic.

I was a pest for progress pictures, and over the following many months, Aaron sent a few. Most of the build steps for this project were the same as with the 700NE build.

After receiving the photos of the work in progress, I knew it was going to be a long wait for the rifle to be finished. I knew that craftsmanship took time. I tried not to pester Aaron too much while he patiently worked.

I took this time to prepare the 600NE ammo that Aaron would require for regulating the rifle. Once again, much like I did for the 700NE project, I prepared 75% loads. The load was a Barnes 900g FMJ, at 1450 fps, with 75 grains of IMR 4198 powder, with a 1" long piece of 5/8" dia. backing rod foam. I had developed this load for my 600NE VC, and it shot to the same point of aim as the full-house load of 1950 fps. I sent 30 rounds to Aaron.

In the mean time, I also acquired a custom hard case, and waited for it to be filled.

It wasn't too long after that Aaron sent me a photo of the "final regulation" target. It only took him 24 of the 30 rounds to regulate the rifle. And the results were - - - TOTALLY ACCEPTABLE ! !

Any further improvement (as if one was needed) would come from "tweaking" the load.

And, once again, I waited for the project to be finished. ....

...... And then, finally, one day last week, there came a wooden crate to my door.

The waiting was over, and the empty case was finally filled.

Here are some detail photos of the finished rifle. A Bernardelli Sidelock Double Rifle in 600 Nitro Express caliber.

With the project complete, I evaluated how it turned out. Well, in the end, we missed on 2 of the desired features; - No Red Recoil Pad, because apparently no one makes a "Red" Recoil Pad wide enough for the existing stock which was a full 2" wide. Not wanting to alter the existing stock, we had to go with a "Brown" Recoil Pad which was available in the 2" width. - And, after final polishing and clean-up the finished weight was 3 ounces light at 14 pounds 9 ounces. However, this was no big deal as the 3 ounces were more than made up by loading the rifle, which brought the weight to exactly 15 pounds. "PERFECT" - "PERFECT" - "PERFECT"

And how did it balance? Also "PERFECT" - "PERFECT" - "PERFECT"

So the final test would be - how does it shoot? Well, you be the judge. Here is my first target. Also "PERFECT" - "PERFECT" - "PERFECT"

Am I happy? YOU BET ! - I've got a High-Quality 600NE "Sidelock" Double Rifle - for only a fraction of the cost of one from a contemporary maker.

--------------------
"You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early."

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* 600NE Bernardelli Sidelock Double Rifle project - long story buckstix 29/09/17 07:30 AM
. * * Re: 600NE Bernardelli Sidelock Double Rifle project - long story bwanabobftw   29/09/17 08:31 AM
. * * Re: 600NE Bernardelli Sidelock Double Rifle project - long story Huvius   29/09/17 01:51 PM
. * * Re: 600NE Bernardelli Sidelock Double Rifle project - long story buckstix   29/09/17 09:54 PM
. * * Re: 600NE Bernardelli Sidelock Double Rifle project - long story Ahmed577   29/09/17 10:18 PM
. * * Re: 600NE Bernardelli Sidelock Double Rifle project - long story lancaster   29/09/17 01:50 PM
. * * Re: 600NE Bernardelli Sidelock Double Rifle project - long story Waidmannsheil   30/09/17 07:16 AM
. * * Re: 600NE Bernardelli Sidelock Double Rifle project - long story Aaron_Little   30/09/17 11:43 AM
. * * Re: 600NE Bernardelli Sidelock Double Rifle project - long story Waidmannsheil   30/09/17 08:04 PM
. * * Re: 600NE Bernardelli Sidelock Double Rifle project - long story buckstix   01/10/17 04:31 PM
. * * Re: 600NE Bernardelli Sidelock Double Rifle project - long story Bidgee   02/10/17 07:16 AM
. * * Re: 600NE Bernardelli Sidelock Double Rifle project - long story buckstix   14/05/18 12:30 PM
. * * Re: 600NE Bernardelli Sidelock Double Rifle project - long story Rifle57   30/09/17 12:44 PM
. * * Re: 600NE Bernardelli Sidelock Double Rifle project - long story 93x64mm   30/09/17 07:58 AM
. * * Re: 600NE Bernardelli Sidelock Double Rifle project - long story buckstix   30/09/17 08:07 AM
. * * Re: 600NE Bernardelli Sidelock Double Rifle project - long story DarylS   30/09/17 08:31 AM

Extra information
1 registered and 132 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 8737

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com