Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Elk enjoying the winter after hunting season...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Elk enjoying the winter after hunting season...
      10/12/16 11:48 PM

Quote:

Seen some Elk when in Canada near Banff about 5 years ago while on holidays, just wandering around as casual as can be; must have been used to the tourists I guess!
Is a lovely thing to see game in good numbers despite hunting, just means that the powers that be have the numbers right for culling & normal attrition - keep them photos coming mate, make us envious over here in Oz!

Right now elk numbers in Montana are very high..almost at all time record highs with the exception of wolf areas where they are at an almost all time low... the area I hunt has 2 shoulder seasons in an attempt to get the elk numbers down..normal season was over the last weekend in November..another season carries on until mid-February..which I don't agree with ..think it is way to hard on the herd as a whole..cows are pregnant so there are a lot of aborted fetuses and a lot of wounded game..hunting is getting more and more difficult this time of year as the snow keeps coming and the temps are low..people start pushing their shooting ranges, etc..so not a fan of the late shoulder season...

There is also an earlier shoulder season that started in mid August..which messes up archery season a bit as it opens 2 weeks later..elk are a bit wound up by then with all the shooting going on..but at least the cows haven't been bred yet..and the temps are not -10 to -20F for the game to scratch out a living in...

Yes if you ever were to go to Yellowstone National Park it would be similar..you can drive right by bison, elk and mule deer without them giving you much of a notice...

I will keep them coming as they become available to me..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Elk enjoying the winter after hunting season... Ripp 10/12/16 01:31 AM
. * * Re: Elk enjoying the winter after hunting season... gryphon   10/12/16 05:32 AM
. * * Re: Elk enjoying the winter after hunting season... DarylS   10/12/16 06:56 AM
. * * Re: Elk enjoying the winter after hunting season... Ripp   10/12/16 01:13 PM
. * * Re: Elk enjoying the winter after hunting season... 93x64mm   10/12/16 02:21 PM
. * * Re: Elk enjoying the winter after hunting season... Ripp   10/12/16 11:48 PM
. * * Re: Elk enjoying the winter after hunting season... SharpsNitro   11/12/16 11:50 AM
. * * Re: Elk enjoying the winter after hunting season... NitroXAdministrator   14/12/16 11:21 PM
. * * Re: Elk enjoying the winter after hunting season... Ripp   15/12/16 12:48 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1502

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com