Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mid-Asian Ibex--2016

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Asia

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Mid-Asian Ibex--2016
      21/11/16 06:10 AM

Got back a few days ago from a 2 week adventure in Kyrgyzstan. The hunt went really well. Outfitting company was outstanding as well the guides and overall hunt.

Weather was on the chilly side. We drove to camp --pic shown below..

Attached is the the main lodge that was at about 9000ft elevation...

Our spike camp was at just under 9600 ft that we rode horses into...see pics of ride and of some of the terrain..we were normally at 10-11,500ft elevation while hunting...

One the way in we came across some of the local Yak herd...interesting animals...

Spike camp was on the cool side with morning temps around -20C --would warm up to around 2-4C during the afternoon..however as soon as the sun when behind the mtns it cooled off quickly..water in my bottle on the first morning was frozen solid..put it in my sleeping bag after that..

On the first day out we spotted a nice billy standing on a ridge..I ranged him at 670+ yards..the guides wanted me to shoot from there..I refused and said, 1. I don't want to take that long of a shot. We then hiked after him and made about a 2 hour stalk..we got to 11,200 ft elevation..but when we got there he was gone..I am certain he smelled us as the winds were really swirling heading up the mtn..

The fourth morning I was literally putting my wool pants on when one of the guides came running into the tent saying grab your rifle..IBEX... IBEX...so grabbed my rifle..and ran behind him heading up the side of the mtn..there was an ibex on the opposite side of the canyon coming off of the river and heading up..by the time we got on to him he was over the first ridge..plus it was so dark yet I really had a hard time seeing my reticle in the scope...I hiked up the opposite side of the mtn and glassed..after about 40 minutes the same guide spotted him standing in the shaded area of a cliff on the opposite side of the canyon..once I found him I ranged him with my bino's and watched the wind where he was at..which seemed to be little to none and what was there was blowing from me to him..so should not affect drift..after setting up and getting everything built up for a good rest I took the 534 yard shot..with the guides watching through their bino's...I gently pulled the trigger. Almost immediately after the shot the guides were jumping up and down and high-fiving each other..slapping me on the back and hugging me as well..the ibex dropped off of the cliff and tumbled probably 4-5 times and fell into a half-moon shaped chute..the mtn was extremely steep, causing the ibex to slide completely down the mtn to within 50 yards of the creek bottom ..we hiked down and took lots of pics..I then walked back to camp and grabbed a horse for packing out the meat and cape along with the obligatory bottle of vodka for the celebration..which is VERY custom over there..

Once I got back to the ibex the guides were skinning away. One guide pulled out his tape and showed me that the Ibex had a length measurement just under 52" which per the outfitter is the largest ibex ever taken at this camp..the ibex, per my friend Trpy, who was along with me and is an official SCI scorer, will score very well when compared to largest mid-asian ibex ever shot ..if not in the top 25 will surely be in the top 50 in the world..to put it in perspective, normally an ibex in the 45" range is considered a shooter and once you hit 47 or 48" its considered a true trophy ..I am not THAT into score, more so about the hunt and experience, but if it happens I am not going to be upset about it either..

Bad news part..on the way back from the camp to Bishkek --we stopped at a rest area about 2 hours out of Bishkek..was a few of us in the vehicle..late in the night, 10 hours into the drive..somehow when we got to the city 2 hours later my vest was gone along with my wallet, cell phone and sunglasses..so the pics I am posting are off of my fiends camera/phone..the only pics I will have is if I can get a couple from the guide as he did have a phone along....not sure how it happened to this day..but someone made off with it..my fault..should have taken it in with me....stupid move..

Mine is the one on the left as you look at the photo

My buddy Troy who I was hunting with..

Some random take away thoughts....

The country seems to be very poor...seeing people stopping by wooded areas and putting tree branches in the trunks of their cars to take home for heating their houses..Per the outfitter the land is owned by the government so no incentive to fix anything up as to fences, etc..you see herd watchman on horses watching the herds of sheep, horses, and cattle throughout the countryside..lots of wolves (2 and 4 legged) in the area I was hunting ..

We saw tracks but never saw a live wolf. I did see a really cool fox on a distant ridge glassing one day..also saw some smaller game birds while climbing twice (about the size of sharptail grouse)..found it strange that this time of year they were still at 10-11,500 ft elevation..

NOT uncommon to see horse listed on the menu of almost every restaurant. While I know that is not totally uncommon in Europe, just something you don't see here in my neck of the woods...

Vodka flows very freely over there..they like to do shots to everything..meet on the road..first day in camp, second day in camp..etc... very warm and friendly people I was with this time..certainly went the extra step..

Longer shots are the norm there...average is 300 yards or more..and heard of many quite a bit over that distance..while it is certainly possible to get closer--as high and open as the terrain is there, you will have better chance of success if you can shoot those distances...

As to the theft, there was about $350. cash in my wallet..based on the what I saw, I had NO expectation of anyone ever turning that in..I was told even if the local law enforcement found it they would not turn it in..its every man for himself in that world..which I find common and yet sad..with that mentality, IMHO, they will remain that way for a very long time..and frankly, if I was in their shoes and found $350 cash which will take care of my family for the next 6 months I probably would do the same...its wicked poor in certain areas...felt bad for the them with what I saw..

If anyone wants to know more of the outfitter PM me and I will be happy to provide the info. Very steep and demanding terrain. If you plan to hunt there, BE in shape...the outfitter fb page is : https://www.facebook.com/asiansafari/

Thank you

Ripp

Edited by Ripp (21/11/16 05:54 PM)

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Mid-Asian Ibex--2016 Ripp 21/11/16 06:10 AM
. * * Re: Mid-Asian Ibex--2016 Rule303   21/11/16 03:08 PM
. * * Re: Mid-Asian Ibex--2016 93x64mm   21/11/16 08:02 AM
. * * Re: Mid-Asian Ibex--2016 Ripp   22/11/16 02:04 AM
. * * Re: Mid-Asian Ibex--2016 Waidmannsheil   22/11/16 06:11 AM
. * * Re: Mid-Asian Ibex--2016 Ripp   23/11/16 12:52 AM
. * * Re: Mid-Asian Ibex--2016 9.3x57   23/11/16 09:03 AM
. * * Re: Mid-Asian Ibex--2016 Pretorius   23/11/16 11:01 PM
. * * Re: Mid-Asian Ibex--2016 Ripp   24/11/16 12:13 AM
. * * Re: Mid-Asian Ibex--2016 GG375   24/11/16 08:44 PM
. * * Re: Mid-Asian Ibex--2016 Ripp   24/11/16 08:48 PM
. * * Re: Mid-Asian Ibex--2016 GG375   25/11/16 04:14 PM
. * * Re: Mid-Asian Ibex--2016 JabaliHunter   25/11/16 07:35 PM
. * * Re: Mid-Asian Ibex--2016 Louis   28/11/16 08:01 PM
. * * Re: Mid-Asian Ibex--2016 NitroXAdministrator   29/11/16 02:03 AM
. * * Re: Mid-Asian Ibex--2016 Ripp   30/11/16 12:06 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 3531

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com