Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The-ultimate-mountain-rifle-test

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: The-ultimate-mountain-rifle-test
      19/10/16 07:31 AM

Each to their own but I respectfully disagree.

Ironically when I was out at the range this morning a nice older gentleman got out to also shoot and get ready 5 rifles for the season. I asked him if I could take a peak at one of his Winchester feather weights..he said fine so I grabbed it and took an aim or two while admiring its beautiful wood stock. Two things come to mind immediately. One was how much heavier it was that what I was there shooting..they were 2-3 lbs more..The owner stated that with rings, mounts, scope and rifle his 2 were around 8.25 to 8.5 lbs. Secondly I thought about my last hunt were it rained for the last 2 day's none stop and glad I had a synthetic stocked rifle.

This is what I was shooting this morning..first one is a titanium Pierce action, Proof barrel, Jewel trigger, Manners stock-28 Nosler..second is same only with a Christianson stock in 300RUM, third one is a Fierce titanium actioned rifle in 26 Nosler..4th is a HS Precison in 300RUM and lastly my truck gun..Tikka..in 22-250..geting ready for coyote season..

I personally feel much better on a mountain hunt with a synthetic vs wood stocked rifle. Nothing to absorb all the rain, snow, sleet or whatever weather the mtn has to throw at it..yes I know you can glass bed, which I do, but, synthetic is just more durable than wood in my experiences..and will normally handle horse abuse a bit better as well..

I work out 4-5 days a week, twice a day to stay in shape. Not bragging but to make a point, I do NOT want to nor will I carry 30-40% more weight in a firearm if I don't need to. My thought is you carry the rifle all day long, day after day..but only shoot it once..hopefully... ...in my mind less weight is better within reason...I also have a Lex Webernick in 280AI..one of my favorites..was right at 5 lbs without scope...all in about 6.3 lbs..great shooter..and as light as it is it's reasonably easy to shoot accurately...has been with me on numerous mtn hunts and is headed back to Kyrgyzstan in a few weeks...

Mountain hunts in particular, ounces make pounds and extra pounds make for tired hunters..no need to carry more than you need..in fact I refuse to do that..

Proof and Winchester rifles are two entirely different animals..one (Proof) is new school and Winchester is old school..two different ways to skin the proverbial cat...but as to quality, I have had one form of Winchester or another most of my life, and still have a few..but, IMHO, Winchester can't hold a candle to Proof in terms of fit, quality of workmanship and the consistent accuracy of a Proof .. they are just not as good..never have been and never will be..IMHO..unless Proof buys them..

Ripp

Edited by Ripp (20/10/16 02:42 AM)

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* The-ultimate-mountain-rifle-test Ripp 18/10/16 12:50 AM
. * * Re: The-ultimate-mountain-rifle-test DarylS   18/10/16 03:10 AM
. * * Re: The-ultimate-mountain-rifle-test gryphon   18/10/16 07:24 AM
. * * Re: The-ultimate-mountain-rifle-test Rule303   18/10/16 09:04 AM
. * * Re: The-ultimate-mountain-rifle-test Homer   18/10/16 10:05 AM
. * * Re: The-ultimate-mountain-rifle-test Rule303   18/10/16 05:58 PM
. * * Re: The-ultimate-mountain-rifle-test szihn   19/10/16 12:45 AM
. * * Re: The-ultimate-mountain-rifle-test Ripp   19/10/16 07:31 AM
. * * Re: The-ultimate-mountain-rifle-test Homer   19/10/16 09:54 AM
. * * Re: The-ultimate-mountain-rifle-test BillG500   19/10/16 02:13 PM
. * * Re: The-ultimate-mountain-rifle-test Rockdoc   18/10/16 04:50 PM
. * * Re: The-ultimate-mountain-rifle-test gryphon   18/10/16 05:33 PM
. * * Re: The-ultimate-mountain-rifle-test Claydog   18/10/16 09:00 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 63 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1895

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com