Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: TPI, CPU, PSI

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

KWK
.275 member

Reged: 28/02/04
Loc: Illinois
Re: TPI, CPU, PSI
      05/04/05 12:06 AM

I'm not aware of an affordable piezo set-up. Oehler sells them, but the cost is surely in the 1000's.

The least expensive strain gauge system is likely RSI's, which has a decent reputation. The cost is now about U$250. I've seen some claims made for it that I'm suspicious about, but I still want to own one myself some day, when I have enough time to play with it.

I've seen arguments these strain gauge rigs could be subject to calibration and various other errors. I believe that if you take care in fixing the gauge to the barrel, there will be little trouble.

They can be used on any gun, but the ability to get an accurate estimate of pressure requires either the barrel be round over the chamber (I don't think that's the case with most doubles) or that you run a stress analysis of this region of the barrel to see how strain varies with pressure (a not so trivial proposition). If you have some money to burn (you own a double?), find a friend with a T/C Encore and have a nice round barrel made for it, chambered for your favorite NE cartridge.

Keep in mind you really don't need to know exactly what the pressure is. You're only concerned with keeping the pressure as low as possible for a given performance. As long as you can get the relative pressure ("does this powder give more or give less pressure for this fps") you can home in on the best powder for the job. The strain gauge rig will also show you if there's inconsistent ignition from one cartridge to the next. This might lead you to another powder, or to a filler. Couple the strain gauge with a simulator such as QuickLoad (to estimate starting loads and powder selection), and I don't think you'll hurt yourself.

Lastly, if you're not afraid of electronics and have access to a storage scope, you can probably make an adequate strain gauge unit at home.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* TPI, CPU, PSI AussieMike 22/03/05 05:57 PM
. * * Re: TPI, CPU, PSI KWK   25/03/05 12:16 AM
. * * Re: TPI, CPU, PSI unspellable   31/03/05 09:50 AM
. * * Re: TPI, CPU, PSI KWK   01/04/05 07:09 PM
. * * Re: TPI, CPU, PSI unspellable   03/04/05 03:22 AM
. * * Re: TPI, CPU, PSI KWK   03/04/05 11:21 AM
. * * Re: TPI, CPU, PSI AussieMike   04/04/05 06:15 PM
. * * Re: TPI, CPU, PSI KWK   05/04/05 12:06 AM
. * * Re: TPI, CPU, PSI unspellable   05/04/05 03:40 AM
. * * Re: TPI, CPU, PSI KWK   05/04/05 11:54 AM
. * * Re: TPI, CPU, PSI unspellable   05/04/05 10:46 PM
. * * Re: TPI, CPU, PSI KWK   31/03/05 10:44 PM
. * * Re: TPI, CPU, PSI unspellable   31/03/05 11:28 PM
. * * Re: TPI, CPU, PSI Tom_Bigbore   22/03/05 10:27 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 73 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 3153

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com