Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Caribou steak in peppercorn cognac cream sauce

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Recipes, food, wine & beverages

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Caribou steak in peppercorn cognac cream sauce
      06/09/16 08:37 AM

So this recipe is really tasty and is very much worth a try. You can substitute beef tenderloin or other quality cuts of game meat if caribou steaks are in short supply.

Ingredients:

Caribou backstrap
1 1/2 ounces cognac
1/4 cup butter
2 tsp olive oil
1 shallot finely diced
2 ounces 35% whipping cream
3 cups chicken stock
Ground Sage
Fresh ground peppercorns
Sea salt or kosher salt

1. Cut the caribou backstrap into steaks (medallions) between 3/4" and 1" thick - Dry the steaks with paper towel

2. Season the steaks with sage, pepper and lightly salt - don't go too heavy on the salt

3. Heat 1/2 of the butter with the olive oil in a large frying pan on high and flash the caribou medallions on both sides. I lay them out in the pan (about a dozen medallions) one at a time and by the time I've got them laid out in the pan, I use a fork and start at the first ones I laid in the pan and start flipping them onto the other side. Add the cognac and shallots.

4. Once all the stakes have been flipped, then start at the first steak And remove the medallions one at a time out of the pan and cover with tin foil on a plate and turn the heat down to medium, and add the chicken stock. Carmilize the shallots and reduce the chicken stock until about 3/4 (but not all!!!) of the moisture is evaporated - this is your sauce so if you've reduced it too much, you'll have a burnt pan and no sauce. While reducing the stock, add the caribou drippings to the pan that have collected on the caribou plate.

5. Remove the pan from the heat and let the sauce cool down some and add the remaining butter and use it to deglaze the frying pan. If the pan is too hot, the butter will liquefy and separate. The heat should be so that the remaining butter would melt but not too quickly. Add the cream and stir in to the sauce reduction on low heat.

Plate the medallions and with a gravy spoon, pour some of the sauce and shallot pieces on each medallion.

Serve with basmati rice and a fresh salad.

Edited by Postman (06/09/16 08:48 AM)

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Caribou steak in peppercorn cognac cream sauce Postman 06/09/16 08:37 AM
. * * Re: Caribou steak in peppercorn cognac cream sauce cordite   06/09/16 09:24 AM
. * * Re: Caribou steak in peppercorn cognac cream sauce gryphon   06/09/16 10:06 AM
. * * Re: Caribou steak in peppercorn cognac cream sauce gwh   06/09/16 11:46 PM
. * * Re: Caribou steak in peppercorn cognac cream sauce Postman   07/09/16 12:57 AM
. * * Re: Caribou steak in peppercorn cognac cream sauce 93x64mm   07/09/16 06:59 AM
. * * Re: Caribou steak in peppercorn cognac cream sauce Ripp   13/09/16 03:19 AM
. * * Re: Caribou steak in peppercorn cognac cream sauce NitroXAdministrator   06/09/16 10:16 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2582

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com