Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hunting clothes for Scotland recomendations.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

simonsaorsa
.300 member

Reged: 11/05/06
Loc: UK
Re: Hunting clothes for Scotland recomendations.
      17/08/16 03:09 AM

I stalk in Assynt, West Sutherland. A lot of the ground here is peat hag, which gets very wet and slippy, so not like NZ mountains at all, although some of it is pure rock or scree and not much is like the nice girlie stuff they get in Perthshire.

You'll need long, well cleated boots (calf not ankle length) and gaiters. Your own choice of trousers/breeks, plus 2s or 4s, plus waterproof coat. I've hunted in Febraury after hinds when it was bitter cold minus teens of Centigrade and layering was essential.

I find a hill stick a great boon - helps to stop the inevitable slips and marking where you left your rucksack for the final crawl in, plus it's something to lean on when you're out of breath!

I do use a walnut stocked, blued Tikka, and a moderator. The big reason for moderator use is health & safety of your stalker (guide) and yourself - his hearing loss would be actionable and health & safety law is enforced through the criminal courts in the UK, so estates and hunters could get criminal records through not taking all reasonable health & safety precautions! Same goes for rifle slips and not putting a round in the breech until you're in position for the shot.

Camo ain't needed but do rememeber the ground here where I stalk is a pale green, so darker greens stick out. Also, we stalk on open ground so any pattern with trees or branches in it is a waste of time. You can almost count the trees here on one hand.

Simon

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Hunting clothes for Scotland recomendations. Gundog01 12/07/16 12:11 PM
. * * Re: Hunting clothes for Scotland recomendations. NitroXAdministrator   12/07/16 03:56 PM
. * * Re: Hunting clothes for Scotland recomendations. Rigby270   12/07/16 11:43 PM
. * * Re: Hunting clothes for Scotland recomendations. NitroXAdministrator   13/07/16 04:13 PM
. * * Re: Hunting clothes for Scotland recomendations. Chasseur   19/07/16 09:55 AM
. * * Re: Hunting clothes for Scotland recomendations. gryphon   19/07/16 12:54 PM
. * * Re: Hunting clothes for Scotland recomendations. DarylS   19/07/16 02:50 PM
. * * Re: Hunting clothes for Scotland recomendations. eagle27   19/07/16 04:23 PM
. * * Re: Hunting clothes for Scotland recomendations. tophet1   19/07/16 09:04 PM
. * * Re: Hunting clothes for Scotland recomendations. simonsaorsa   17/08/16 03:09 AM
. * * Re: Hunting clothes for Scotland recomendations. Waidmannsheil   17/08/16 06:27 AM
. * * Re: Hunting clothes for Scotland recomendations. granhaven   18/08/16 12:45 AM
. * * Re: Hunting clothes for Scotland recomendations. gryphon   13/07/16 05:23 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 6209

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com