Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Follow Up on my hand loading issues

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

DonZ
.300 member

Reged: 24/12/12
Loc: BW
Follow Up on my hand loading issues
      28/06/16 12:54 PM

In another thread, I spoke about an issue I had with obvious signs of overpressure, while using a load I thought would be a safe starting load.

It was recommended in that thread that I contact the powder manufacturer. Before doing that, I wanted to research every step of what I did in order to make sure I was doing everything right first. For example, I sent my scale in for re-calibration to make sure there wasn't a measurement error, I went over my notes, etc.

One thing I noticed was that I should be concerned about headspace.

I came across this article:

http://www.redding-reloading.com/tech-line-a-tips-faqs/145-dealing-with-headspace

The symptoms described for excessive headspace match what happened to me. I know that the headspace in the rifle is correct, based on success with factory RWS rounds.

Of course this has led me to search for some headspace go/no go gauges, as well as a case gauge. I haven't found a source, but if anyone knows of one, let me know. I have reached out to several vendors about having a set custom made (certainly, chamber bores are available) and I will let you know what I learn. I do have some phone calls to make tomorrow.

In the interim, I did some "testing" with my rifle. Lacking a smoke pot to lightly mark a round, I searched my tool cabinet and found some prussian blue. Here is what I learned:

Putting a very light coat of prussian blue on a factory RWS 160 gr RNSP round, I carefully chambered it and noted that the prussian blue was marked about in the center of the shoulder. Call it half way along the "angle" of the shoulder.

I repeated the "experiment" with a dummy round that I made with my set up. No primer, fire formed RWS brass, using a neck sizing C4D die and a 160 gr Woodleigh PP bullet set with an overall length of 3.01". This was slightly longer than the RWS factory round, but needed to feed the spitzer bullet from the magazine.

In this case, the prussian blue was marked at the very end (widest part) of the shoulder.

My conclusion is that the round is seating deeper into the chamber, increasing headspace. If my conclusion is correct, this would cause the overpressure I experienced.

Does anyone with more experience than I have opinions on this?

Can anyone recommend a good method to set my neck sizing die? All the examples I've read speak to full length dies. I have a FL die, but was hoping to use the neck sizing die in order to extend the life of my brass.

The best method I can think to set the die is to continue to "fiddle" with height using the prussian blue until I can move the "touch point" up the neck of the brass. If anyone can recommend something "less messy" than prussian blue (black sharpie was completely ineffective), I'm willing to listen.

Thank you for any thoughts. I'm learning a LOT here, and I really appreciate it. Thirty years ago, when my grandfather passed this rifle to me, I lost any hope of finding ammo for it. Now, I've found live rounds, brass, several types of bullets, dies, and more information than I thought was available. You guys are a great help.

--------------------
Honor never grows old, and honor rejoices the heart of age...

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Follow Up on my hand loading issues DonZ 28/06/16 12:54 PM
. * * Re: Follow Up on my hand loading issues Jim_C   28/06/16 02:06 PM
. * * Re: Follow Up on my hand loading issues DarylS   29/06/16 01:16 AM
. * * Re: Follow Up on my hand loading issues DarylS   07/07/16 01:18 AM
. * * Re: Follow Up on my hand loading issues DonZ   07/07/16 10:24 AM
. * * Re: Follow Up on my hand loading issues deeangeo   07/07/16 03:21 PM
. * * Re: Follow Up on my hand loading issues DonZ   17/07/16 12:54 PM
. * * Re: Follow Up on my hand loading issues DarylS   18/07/16 01:30 AM
. * * Re: Follow Up on my hand loading issues Tom_H   14/08/16 02:05 PM
. * * Re: Follow Up on my hand loading issues DonZ   15/08/16 01:17 PM
. * * Re: Follow Up on my hand loading issues Tom_H   16/08/16 08:37 AM
. * * Re: Follow Up on my hand loading issues DarylS   16/08/16 10:14 AM
. * * Re: Follow Up on my hand loading issues DonZ   16/08/16 11:17 PM
. * * Re: Follow Up on my hand loading issues ducmarc   17/08/16 10:55 AM
. * * Re: Follow Up on my hand loading issues ducmarc   17/08/16 11:05 AM
. * * Re: Follow Up on my hand loading issues Postman   17/08/16 11:27 AM
. * * Re: Follow Up on my hand loading issues DarylS   17/07/16 02:42 PM
. * * Re: Follow Up on my hand loading issues TexasJohn   17/07/16 09:58 PM
. * * Re: Follow Up on my hand loading issues DonZ   17/07/16 10:28 PM
. * * Re: Follow Up on my hand loading issues DonZ   06/07/16 12:42 PM
. * * Re: Follow Up on my hand loading issues deeangeo   06/07/16 04:45 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 3513

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com