Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Deer stalking - Scottish Highlands

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Deer stalking - Scottish Highlands
      13/06/16 06:08 PM

Quote:

There are a couple of things that make me feel somewhat uncomfortable about the UK shooting experience. Aside from having to pay (which I understand is a necessary evil in that part of the world) I abhor the widespread use of moderators and I also find the seeming ubiquity of 'gun bags' out in the field weird. I don't know why you'd want to carry extra 'stuff' into the field but it's almost as though the individuals concerned are a bit embarrassed to be seen with a rifle. Maybe there's a very good reason for it that I just don't 'get' but it just seems odd to me.

I just thank Christ I live where I live and have the ability to roam over vast areas of public land with gay abandon - rifle in hand.

Not sure if it is relevant to the Scottish Highlands and deer stalking. But when pigeon decoying in England, East Anglia it might have been. I got bored at one time as there were no pigeons coming in near me at all. So went for a walk to another stand, by a barn who were doing well. To stand behind them and have a chat. Opened the shotgun and walked over to them. May have closed it and readied for a shot at sonme pigeons flying in, but being in the open they saw me and didn't come near. Later the two guys at the barn said I should have put the shotgun in the gunbag when walking over, as that was required. The guy that was organising the pigeon decoying had the right to decoy but not rough shoot (or whatever it was called I forget). On this estate, there was rights to conduct pheasant drives, rough shoot, both rights owned by some Lord MuchSomething, and the local guy who organised pigeon decoying only had the right to decoy. So nio going for a walk with a gun. Guns when not decoying must be bagged.

Highland deer stalking? Don't know, other than maybe some tradition, or only being able to "stalk" (hunt) at some particular time or spot, or away from a vehicle a certain distance etc etc etc

Who knows, lots of rules and traditions over there ...

Like some of the culture but not the endless rules. Prefer our freedoms in Australia and NZ.

Perhaps some UK members or experienced in UK hunters can chime in on the question. Interested to know why gunbags would be used in the field?

Perhaps it is just to keep the rain off?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Deer stalking - Scottish Highlands mckinney 06/05/16 05:36 PM
. * * Re: Deer stalking - Scottish Highlands gryphon   06/05/16 06:31 PM
. * * Re: Deer stalking - Scottish Highlands Chasseur   06/05/16 06:39 PM
. * * Re: Deer stalking - Scottish Highlands mckinney   06/05/16 11:52 PM
. * * Re: Deer stalking - Scottish Highlands Waidmannsheil   07/05/16 08:12 AM
. * * Re: Deer stalking - Scottish Highlands DarylS   14/06/16 10:26 AM
. * * Re: Deer stalking - Scottish Highlands eagle27   14/06/16 03:53 PM
. * * Re: Deer stalking - Scottish Highlands NitroXAdministrator   14/06/16 10:30 PM
. * * Re: Deer stalking - Scottish Highlands NitroXAdministrator   14/06/16 10:31 PM
. * * Re: Deer stalking - Scottish Highlands HeymSR20   28/07/16 07:26 AM
. * * Re: Deer stalking - Scottish Highlands lonewulf   07/05/16 10:01 AM
. * * Re: Deer stalking - Scottish Highlands NitroXAdministrator   13/06/16 06:08 PM
. * * Re: Deer stalking - Scottish Highlands gryphon   14/06/16 08:43 AM
. * * Re: Deer stalking - Scottish Highlands gryphon   07/05/16 12:02 PM
. * * Re: Deer stalking - Scottish Highlands HeymSR20   12/06/16 01:22 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 3452

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com