Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 52 Grand

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: 52 Grand
      24/05/16 09:07 PM

Seems the price is rather on the high side to me, although as has been stated, engraving and other embellishments can add an astounding amount of cost to the price. In my humble and very limited experience, a "made to order" rifle will cost more than a rifle built and embellished by the factory "on speculation". As an example, I paid less for a Merkel off the shelf with full coverage engraving, cocking indicators, etc, etc, etc, vs the Merkel I special ordered that came as plain and bare as a new born's butt.

When I ordered another rifle, I found out painfully just how much each and every tidbit costs... Big bore versions tend to be built as "Safari" models and double the price. The 9.3x74R seems to be the cutoff caliber before one moves in to the so called safari grade calibers, generally starting at the .375H&H. Sidelock versions add a king's ransom, (on a small bore, side lock would just about double the cost on the base rifle), engraving is waaaaaay super expensive, particularly if you want the "deep engraving". I paid $7500 for shallow engraving, but the same engraving in deep relief would have run me well over $20k. The engraving, signed by M. Richter, is incredibly detailed, and looks like a photograph it is so lifelike, but quality artistry is hard to come by and it ain't' cheap. Even small items such as a tiny gold leaf stripe up the centre of the rear sight leaf will add $200.00. It all adds up VERY fast!!!!!!

Unfavourable exchange rates can also add to costs, and then to add insult to injury, sales taxes are generally slapped on top to ensure the government gets their rake off. In my case, 13% is added to the top at point of sale.

Edited by Postman (24/05/16 09:13 PM)

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* 52 Grand gryphon 07/05/16 05:24 AM
. * * Re: 52 Grand Ripp   07/05/16 09:51 PM
. * * Re: 52 Grand NitroXAdministrator   08/05/16 06:29 AM
. * * Re: 52 Grand Shackleton   24/05/16 01:55 PM
. * * Re: 52 Grand Postman   24/05/16 09:07 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 68 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2341

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com