Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hunting Scopes--choice of reticles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Hunting Scopes--choice of reticles
      11/05/16 02:42 AM

Pretty much how I do it with gophers, to about 500yards. My 6-24 m4200 has zeros using the mill dots (at 20X, they are 1.5" apart) to 540yards. Read off the range, check the chart on the scope's bell for the correct dot spacing and take the shot- 1st shot kills on the rats.

For big game, one could easily use lower power and true mil dot spacing (1st plane).

To find my zeros with the dots, I set up a tall target at 100 meters with an aiming point near the bottom, then 1" horizontal lines up the target face. With the gun zero'd on the aiming point, I fire a 3-shot group at the aiming point using each mill dot.

Using a computer program that is close to correct, (Sierra works) I plot the zeros for each mil dot. for example only: say the 1st dot gives a 225yard zero, then 2nd a 300 zero, then 3rd 375yard zero, 4th 450yard zero, lower post 500yard zero, then transcribe that onto a 'sicky' for the side of the scope's bell, or butt stock of the rifle.
Depending on the rifles trajectory and the mil dot spacing at the power you are using, you may have longer or shorter range zeros.
Even a plain "plex" reticle (thin hairs inner circle then thick post outside), some call it a 30/30 reticle, the lower post will give you a zero you can use on big game- as in 250yards, or 300yards- that sort of thing.

Anyone who actually does practice knows how to hold with their hunting rifle for close shots, as in out to 200, even to 250yards with a plain crosshair. It's past this point-blank range, that the dots & range finders come into use. The smaller the target, the more useful they are.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Hunting Scopes--choice of reticles Ripp 09/05/16 11:17 PM
. * * Re: Hunting Scopes--choice of reticles DarylS   10/05/16 01:23 AM
. * * Re: Hunting Scopes--choice of reticles NitroXAdministrator   10/05/16 08:22 PM
. * * Re: Hunting Scopes--choice of reticles Ripp   10/05/16 11:30 PM
. * * Re: Hunting Scopes--choice of reticles Rell   11/05/16 01:31 AM
. * * Re: Hunting Scopes--choice of reticles Ripp   12/05/16 11:04 PM
. * * Re: Hunting Scopes--choice of reticles DarylS   11/05/16 02:42 AM
. * * Re: Hunting Scopes--choice of reticles 93mouse   12/05/16 12:22 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1974

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com