Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Questions about adding lead to the stock--

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

csutton7
.275 member

Reged: 17/02/05
Loc: SF, CA
Questions about adding lead to the stock--
      16/03/05 10:38 PM

Ok--I just picked up the used CZ 416 rigby I bought off of Gunbroker.com and I can feel and hear the lead rattling around in the fiberglass stock, so I have some questions regarding lead as I've never owned or handled a stock such equipped--

Is it normal to be able to hear and feel the lead move--I have this suspicion that you shouldn't ---

there's lead added in the forearm and butt--I can see two 1" or so round cylinders that have been installed into the forearm, but the Pachmayer recoil pad prevents me from seeing what's happening in the butt and I can really feel and really hear the lead in the butt--

the forearm lead rattles a little--one could live with this as I'm not sure what you could do except try and remove which may ruin the stock totally(yes I know it may be toast as it is-you need to read on to see what I mean)

I was thinking I could drill a small hole on each side of the butt and use some foam and fill her up--(what am I out if the stock is already toast--read on)

The stock is broken right in front of trigger--that little pc of wood or fiberglass that's between the trigger and mag box--I believe this was unknown to the seller(he had bought it at an estate sale) and I have yet to hear from him concerning this-but doubt I have any recourse--should I add a hidden cross bolt and glass in--I think I should and why not at this point--what can it hurt??

the stock is full length bedded and it looks to be a McMillan, but there are no markings that I've found so far, so I really don't know who made the stock, so that I could send it there and see if they could fix it or??? but with all the work done to it they may say you're on your own anyway--

any and all suggestions are welcomed--at this point I'd like to save the stock even if it means it will be ugly-it's a hunting rifle like all my rifles--I do have a factory stock off of a CZ 375 h&h that I may check and see if I can make work--not sure it will drop in, but maybe it will with a little coaxing--

the rifle has had some work done to it for sure--3 pos safety and possible trigger(I forgot to look at the trigger when I separated the action from the stock and I forgot to check for the set trigger function also, but I will later), barrel band, new sights, barrel shortened to 22" and a checkered bolt handle added, so even if the stock is toast I think I still did ok, just not as OK if the stock would've been tight----chris

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Questions about adding lead to the stock-- csutton7 16/03/05 10:38 PM
. * * Re: Questions about adding lead to the stock-- 510Wells   17/03/05 12:35 PM
. * * Re: Questions about adding lead to the stock-- Eric   17/03/05 03:42 AM
. * * Re: Questions about adding lead to the stock-- csutton7   17/03/05 10:08 AM
. * * Re: Questions about adding lead to the stock-- new_guy   17/03/05 12:51 PM
. * * Re: Questions about adding lead to the stock-- csutton7   17/03/05 05:45 PM
. * * Re: Questions about adding lead to the stock-- atkinson6   30/03/05 06:37 AM
. * * Re: Questions about adding lead to the stock-- csutton7   30/03/05 12:55 PM

Extra information
1 registered and 65 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2014

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com