Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Loading for defense?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Jim_C
.300 member

Reged: 09/08/14
Loc: USA
Re: Loading for defense?
      24/02/16 12:55 PM

Quote:

For some reason i've been reading up on the .25acp (actually thinking it would be fun in a bolt action rifle built off a .22lr action? But thats a story for another day!) and that's where this thought came from. Would a HP offer better "stopping power" than a solid, especially in something as diminutive as a .25acp?

Having the dubious distinction of having been hit with both, I can't say as I noticed any difference. The HP carried a bit more fabric into the wound, but that was about it. Six or seven years ago I ran across a rifle built up in 25acp and did some test with the HPs. The ones available then began expanding at about 1,100 fps: far too fast for any pocket auto. Even then, they wouldn't always anchor a jackrabbit. And talk about a pain to load! Those little cases are around the size of a shotgun primer! Every other time I tried to seat a bullet, I'd pinch a finger between the case mouth and bullet.

About the only time I stagger loads is when carrying a single action revolver while walking the dogs. Then, I sometimes load a Glaser in the first chamber, skip the second, and load four flat-nosed cast bullets. Glasers do an impressive job of stopping skunks before they can spray, while the solids will take care of anything else I'm likely to encounter around here.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Loading for defense? Ash 23/02/16 07:30 PM
. * * Re: Loading for defense? Jim_C   24/02/16 12:55 PM
. * * Re: Loading for defense? Ash   25/02/16 05:33 PM
. * * Re: Loading for defense? Jim_C   27/02/16 02:44 PM
. * * Re: Loading for defense? DarylS   24/02/16 02:25 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1753

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com