Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting
      08/05/03 09:14 AM

Gryphon , all hunting in Africa is not as you seem to think! and your comprison of "SAMBAR STAGG in his own home ground" , is a little missleading. not that it matters,but there is no such thing as an Austrailian "DEER"!

That was not to say these animals are not hard to hunt, simply because they aren't indgenous to Austrailia. But someone who didn't know better could assume this is a put and take hunt, and be believed, by those who haven't been there! The same holds for those who have not been to Africa, who paint Africa, and her hunting practices with a broad brush! Not fair ether dirrection it is applied!

There are plenty of places in Africa where the old walk about type hunting is the common way. Countries like ZAMBIA, BOTSWANA, TANZANIA, ZIMBABWE, where the hunting concessions are not fenced in any way, and are vast in size. The animals in these concessions, and Tribal lands are free to move in and out of the hunting areas at will!

Places like BANGUELA,where you will do a lot of wadeing, and slapping Mosquitoes, and the hunting concessions around the North Luangwa, and South Luangwa ntl parks,like the Upper Lupande, in the Luangwa Valley are vast. The drill is usually to ride the tracks looking for tracks, at which time the vehicle is parked if the tracks show promise, and the tracking begins. This can last till it is very dark, and then a long walk back to the vehicle, many times with out sighting a good head. The other is to spot , say , a herd Buffalo, then to continue on down the track, a mile or so, park and stalk back to see if you can get a shot at a good bull. Many of these stalks are blown by changeing wind, or spooking elephant, or other animals, that alert the Buffalo!

Cats over bait is a very time consuming game, and the PH has to know what he is doing, to attract a cat. More guys go home without a Leopard, or lion than any other animal booked for, in Africa. I agreee with you about the atrificial light, that wouldn't set well with me, and is illegal in most of the places I've hunted. I have no problem with the hunting of cats with dogs, I did a lot of that in my younger days, but a 66 years of age I can't stay with the chase, and have to pass for bait, or tracking as in the Kalahari of Botswana, where that is the only way legal.

The animals that come close to the "COLLECTING" are usually the animals that are so common, the you will see thousands, or at least hundreds of them in a day, like Impala, springbok, and the like. These are usually the bait animals for the leopard, or Buffalo cow, Wildebeest, and Zebra, for lion bait! These animals have to be collected in a hurry, because of the time constraints of cat hunting. If you have a 14 day hunt, about the shortest hunt you can find for cats, you don't have time to waste, in getteing out baits., and these may have to be replaced durring the hunt, so must be done expodiseously! I think in most cases, outside RSA, you will get a real hunt, if that is what you want!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting gryphon 04/05/03 08:35 AM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting allenday   28/12/06 02:55 AM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting gryphon   09/01/07 07:23 PM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting Bigfive   08/01/07 10:57 PM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting bulldog563   28/12/06 02:20 PM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting russ   17/05/03 02:23 AM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting NitroXAdministrator   28/12/06 12:13 AM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting gryphon   09/01/07 07:04 PM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting DUGABOY1   08/05/03 09:14 AM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting gryphon   08/05/03 02:42 PM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting Mpofu   08/05/03 08:01 PM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting gryphon   09/05/03 04:09 AM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting Cacciatore   10/05/03 09:31 AM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting Cacciatore   10/05/03 09:41 AM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting gryphon   10/05/03 10:23 AM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting Cacciatore   10/05/03 04:32 PM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting gryphon   11/05/03 06:11 AM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting Cacciatore   11/05/03 07:44 AM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting iqbal   06/05/03 03:06 AM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting Mpofu   06/05/03 05:15 AM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting gryphon   06/05/03 06:37 AM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting MLindsay   05/05/03 11:04 PM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting NitroXAdministrator   06/05/03 01:26 AM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting SafariHunt   05/05/03 06:27 PM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting ovis   06/05/03 07:46 AM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting Mpofu   06/05/03 07:49 PM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting ovis   06/05/03 07:27 AM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting ovis   05/05/03 05:34 PM
. * * Re: Is it really hunting in Africa or game collecting Mpofu   04/05/03 07:45 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 66 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ****
Thread views: 6547

You rated this thread a 4.
Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com