Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The Jacob shell and experience with it.(extracts)

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Jim_C
.300 member

Reged: 09/08/14
Loc: USA
Re: The Jacob shell and experience with it.(extracts)
      18/05/15 04:32 AM

I used to have an Ideal 456122 mould that had been special-ordered with an enlarged hollow-point to take a .22 blank in the hollow-point. (The obvious problem here is that if you drop a loaded cartridge, it falls point-down: landing on the blank. I never cared for that idea.) I experimented some with filling the nose cavity with olive oil, sealed in with a bit of wax.

First problem was that wax would soften (due to heat or some reaction with the oil, I never looked into it). Shellac made a better seal, but the bullets and loaded ammunition still required care in handling.

Second problem was metering a consistent amount of oil into the cavity. I finally used a small insulin syringe. This was a pain to do, but bullet weights were fairly consistent.

The third problem was that the super-dooper-delux-oil-filled-expanding-bullet seemed to expand no more than one with an open hollow-point. I tried several alloys ranging from 30-1 lead-tin, to wheelweights (as-cast and heat-treated as hard as I could get them), to Linotype. In no case was the expansion or splintering of the nose greater than what I got from the same alloy without filling the nose.

I also experimented with composite bullets: a nose of soft lead, with a base of harder lead. These were cast in one go, with the soft lead in one pot and the hard lead in another. From a rifle there was little difference, but sized down to .452" they did perform better than a mono-cast from the 5-shot 45 Colt Linebaugh I had then.

For my uses, the plain bullet worked as well as anything. Of course, a 45 is not an 8 bore, and I was not hunting tigers.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* The Jacob shell and experience with it.(extracts) rigbymauser 17/05/15 08:23 PM
. * * Re: The Jacob shell and experience with it.(extracts) lancaster   17/05/15 08:46 PM
. * * Re: The Jacob shell and experience with it.(extracts) DarylS   18/05/15 12:38 AM
. * * Re: The Jacob shell and experience with it.(extracts) rigbymauser   18/05/15 12:45 AM
. * * Re: The Jacob shell and experience with it.(extracts) DarylS   18/05/15 02:41 AM
. * * Re: The Jacob shell and experience with it.(extracts) rigbymauser   18/05/15 03:04 AM
. * * Re: The Jacob shell and experience with it.(extracts) Jim_C   18/05/15 04:32 AM
. * * Re: The Jacob shell and experience with it.(extracts) DarylS   18/05/15 04:48 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 3217

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com